Chapter 42

❍

"Millennium. That's how long it existed. And for common folks it was believed to have only existed in children's story—just a mere folktale meant to scare kids that are quite unruly." Lady Neira explained. The princess had opened up about having vague dreams about a shadow to which eventually led to Lady Neira telling her about its existence.

"But witches of the covens never really stopped looking for it. It was a very mysterious force originated from somewhere no one knows about. Just like its purpose—unknown. Only thing we know of is that it is powerful, so powerful that our forefathers are only able to weaken it."

"When it was found by my coven three generations ago, afraid that it will cause another war between the witches due to its power, they concealed its existence in secrecy. Just until they could find a way to destroy it. But even when our coven is the most powerful amongst the witch covens, they could not find a way to completely destroy it. Until your great grandfather, the king during the time, he became the key though not to destroy it, but to contain it. Bound by our spell and froze it within him. And from then on together with one's elemental powers, it was passed on from generation to generation. It is why there's always a witch—a ward—by an Eiran's side. Throughout the years we've found nothing significant to possibly destroy it."

"That's what it was. The shadow." Princess Priya said under her breath.

Lady Neira paused and studied the princess before she spoke. "But this dream of yours, it's possible that it has shown you the future."

"If only my dream wasn't so vague." the princess muttered. "It's scary to think I have such a force living inside of me."

"Don't worry." Lady Neira put a hand on the princess'. "That is what I am here for. And besides, the bond will hold. It will stay frozen until we deem it not to be—and that is only until we find a way to destroy it."

"Spoken like a true regent of the most powerful coven to ever exist." princess Priya chuckled. "Perhaps it's not all too bad to have been entangled with the shadow, because it led our paths together. And for that I am thankful." she squeezed Lady Neira's hand.

Years later.

"Tell me that isn't true. Not my Lisa, no." Queen Priya's voice trembled with fear.

"I had my suspicions. But the bond of the spell is weakening, that is the reason why she couldn't wield her own powers. Her power is freezing the shadow on its own, it's protecting her from it."

"Can't you recast the bond?!"

"I tried to find a way my queen, believe me I did, but I cannot mend it. The spell is ancient it won't let me overlap spells, it'll be dangerous for her."

"You don't understand Neira! I tried to convince myself that it was just a dream but as years went by my dreams became clearer as if it's nearing its time to come to reality. Neira...it was Lisa. She was the one in my dreams." Queen Priya cried out.

"How could you keep this from me my queen!" Neira shook her head in utter disbelief and disappointment.

"I-I was scared! I didn't want it to be real..."

"Tell me about this dream."

"In my dream, my daughter...she was... consumed by it. She had no control of it..."

"No... no she wouldn't be able to. She never was able to wield her own, much more the shadow."

"There was too much power battling within her and my daughter, she was..." Queen Priya couldn't find it in her to finish her sentence.

"But Lisa's powers are strong enough to keep the shadow frozen, enough for it to fall into a deep state of sleep. We just have to make sure it stays that way. My queen, you have to believe that the future isn't set in stone, that this dream of yours will help play a part in changing that future."

"The future is not certain Neira, not with this war we're in right now... what if we don't get to be with her long enough to prevent it from awakening? We have to destroy it, it's now or never. Tell me you found a way to destroy it, I beg you!"

Lady Neira closed her eyes hard, pacing back and forth. "It is uncertain, we suspected that the shadow is looking for a vessel to act out its purpose. But none was ever strong enough to endure the power it holds. The coven believes, that if one is able to weaken it and kill its true vessel at the right moment, it will cease to exist. But to do that, to even try anything, the shadow has to be awakened. There is no way around it, one cannot just sneak behind it and stab it to death. It's just the way magic works to uphold the balance of nature..."

Perhaps the future was indeed inevitable. For she just took a life in order to preserve another. And that life was Queen Priya's. Lady Neira recalled the blame the queen put on herself for not being strong enough to take the shadow with her to her death.

Tears welled in Lady Neira's eyes as she called on the waves while she pushed the boat Lisa was encased in.

"Your sacrifice will not be in vain, my queen. If we have to fight destiny, then that is what we will do with all the power that you and I have. We'll fight destiny...for Lisa."

"May the power I bestow you help yours to keep the shadow frozen. This is my gift to you." those were her last words before a huge wave swallowed them both into the depths of the sea.

'Take it, as it is yours—our undying love. Live and fight destiny.' 

Next part ➝