Chapter 30

♕ 

♕ 

Lisa bolted upright, her frame trembling.

Every night it was the same, if not worst. She had been suffering from nightmares or perhaps it never did stop. She would have nightmares of Eins' assault, if not that, it would be him plunging a knife into Jake's chest, then there's this darkness that would keep her paralyzed and cold throughout the night. Every dream she would desperately try to wake up, but waking up isn't any better, it's as if she's living a nightmare.

"Just a bad dream." she whispered, but her body refused to calm down. This time it was so vivid, it was so clear. Jake teared up as he lay on his own pool of blood. She clearly heard him whisper 'sorry', as if he knew she could hear and see him at that moment. She put her head on her palms. Her blood was pounding in her veins, her heart thudding against her chest, sweat and tears ran down her face. She couldn't stop crying. 'He shouldn't die.'

She started questioning, hadn't she lost enough in her life already? Why bring him into her life and take him just when she starts caring for him? Does fate hate her? She cannot lose him. She needed him. And so she prayed, just like she does every time when she gets these nightmares, to keep him safe, to bring him home—alive.

She stayed awake until the morning came. Lisa had secluded herself ever since the news of Jake being badly wounded and him stubbornly agreeing in a one on one combat. She barely talked to anyone and barely ate her meals.

"Stop this."

It was Lady Jizelle, she had dragged Lisa out of the palace for a formal tour of the city with Lord Jin, of course with tremendous guards escorting them. Jin may have told her how Lisa had been skipping her meals and how hard she took the latest news about Jake. She had the intention of cheering Lisa up or maybe at least lighten up her feelings, to which hadn't resulted in much conversation, until now.

"What?" Lisa snapped out of her deep thoughts.

"You need to stop being so...so sad." Jizelle tried to find a better word for Lisa's behavior. "I know you're worried and we are too. But this...this won't help you." Jizelle held her hand and gave it a squeeze.

"I know...it's just that...we haven't heard of any news. And I—"

"I know, we feel the same way too. Jennie has been taking it hard as well..."

Lisa turned to Jizelle, a pang of guilt hitting her. How could she think only of herself? She should've been there with Jennie, but instead, she secluded herself away from everyone.

"H-How is she?" she managed, feeling ashamed to ask it a little too late.

"Rose's keeping her company most of the time. But Jennie, she doesn't like showing how she feels. She's just as stubborn as her brother. You'd find it hard to talk to her and she tends to push people away instead." Jizelle told her, thinking how Lisa's doing exactly the same, and in her case—avoid people at all cost.