Chapter 14

♚ 

♚ 

He did not fail to notice how Lisa's behavior had changed ever since her outburst and it drove him even more curious as to what she is going through at the moment. She had been quiet—more than usual—she would be at her favorite reading spot but her gaze was never at her book but rather far ahead at nothing in particular and now, he just found out that she had skipped her meals as well.

It is obvious that she does not want to speak of it—maybe not ever. It is her memories; it is her right whether to share it or not. He's curious, but he did not want to push her into telling him and wondered if he should just drop the matter completely.

But her behavior, it worries him more than he wants to admit. And that is why right now, he finds himself overshadowed by huge bookshelves in the library of the Citadel. Although he doesn't exactly know what he's looking for—perhaps a tale of what happened—he hopes to find something that could help his wife.

"Jake!" he turned around at the casual mention of his name. He knew exactly who it was. "What brings you here?"

"Lady Irabelle."

She greeted him with her usual smile that beams brighter than sun. He had forgotten, she spends most of her time here to study. It seems like he hasn't seen her for a long time, the last time he saw her, he was distressed. He was full of anger and frustration that seeing her back then brought so much relief but at the same time brought so much regret. They barely had a proper conversation with each other back then because he was too busy preparing for his wedding. Or perhaps it was his excuse to run away from her as she reminded him that he couldn't have her.

"How have you been, lady Irabelle?"

"I've been good. A lot of studying at most, but I enjoy it. I'm doing something I love." her eyes reflected her gratitude towards him.

"That is good to hear."

"Well... What about you? How is it... being married?" it's not a secret to everyone that the marriage was arranged. Common people would think he lives in a marital bliss, but the people who knows him well knew more than that. He could tell by her tone what she means by her question. 

"I've nothing much to say about it."

"Oh come on! It can't be that bad."

"It isn't." he was quick to defend. "She's quite interesting actually. She can be stubborn." he remembered his wife insisting on sleeping on the chaise in exchange of him taking the bed. Also, the time he had brought her food and she refused to eat, she can be stubborn and childish. But then again, he was at fault at the time so she was acting base on her anger then.

His thoughts wander back to the reason of his visit at the library of citadel. He furrowed his brows in frustration as he found nothing and felt like he wasted his precious time for something she clearly didn't want to speak of.