Chapter 35

♕

Lisa sat up and looked around their bed chambers. She was so dazed that she almost didn't notice Jake standing before the mirror. Almost. Because then again, her very handsome of a husband was very hard to miss, especially when he is topless. Her eyes followed the lines of his taut muscles down to the white linen bandage wrapped around his stomach. The battle scars on his back and arms made him look even more fierce and strong.

"Enjoying the view?" Jake teased, staring at her through the mirror.

'Oh the cocky bastard!' she looked away trying to act nonchalant, ignoring the smug grin plastered on his face.

"Nothing wrong with it." he continued. "After all, I wasn't the most eligi-"

"--eligible bachelor of Vermillia. Yes, I know. You told me." she cut him off and rolled her eyes.

He chuckled at her reaction and it didn't take her long to giggle as well.

"You should get ready for breakfast." he told her as he run his fingers through his still wet locks.

"You seem to be in a good mood. You feel much better?"

"You could say that." once again, he looked at her through the mirror. "I also had a good night sleep."

Lisa looked a little panicked all of a sudden and was not able to give a proper response. She remembered what she had done last night and was a little too late to regret it. 'He couldn't have been awake' she told herself. Hiding her blush, she rushed past him to the wash chambers to get ready, oblivious of the small laugh Jake let out after seeing her get flustered.

When she was done getting ready, she found Jake sitting on their bed—still half naked.

"Why are you still not dressed?" Lisa asked.

"Well, in case you haven't noticed, I am injured. It's still difficult for me to put on a tunic by myself."

"You could've told me, I could've helped you."

"I didn't think helping each other get dressed was a part of our marital duties." Jake stated, his eyes twinkling with what she thought was mischief before he mumbled something she didn't quite manage to hear. "Undressing each other on the other hand..."

"hmm?" Lisa hummed curiously.

"I guess I could use your help."

For a moment she questioned why she offered to help because suddenly, she was nervous. Awkwardly, she walked towards him and grabbed the tunic that is still neatly folded beside him. She could feel her ears burning red and the way he's gazing up at her, watching her every move—isn't helping at all.

Carefully, she urged him to slip his arms in the soft sleeves of his tunic. She tried not to get distracted of his broad chest and arms that are corded with muscles honed of fighting and brutality. The silence was so thick the only thing you'd hear was their breathing and the rustling of fabric against his body. She scolded her heart to stay calm. Still avoiding his gaze and trying not to tremble with the light touch of her fingers to his bare skin. Her fingers carefully closed the fabric on his chest as she laced and loosely knotted the string just up to his collarbone.