II

Amara Winters' POV
Days had passed and I had finished unpacking all my stuff. Jane had come over a few times, she was an absolute angel. She was funny and kind. I just met her, but already felt a close bond growing between us two. She felt like a best friend, someone that knew you inside out. Even though I didn't know her that well, I hoped that I would soon.

"Good evening!" Jane cheered after I opened the front door to reveal the blonde woman with a bottle of wine in her hand. I grinned and let her inside. She flopped down onto the couch and I grabbed two wine glasses.

"Let's celebrate your last free day before work starts... and our friendship." She said as she filled the glasses, lifting hers after she finished her short toast.

"To our friendship," I said and I lifted it as well, clinking our glasses together.

"To our friendship." She giggled, chugging her wine down extremely fast. I wondered if she did this often, but then again, what if she did? It sure wouldn't matter to me, she's a fun friend.

"Why did you choose to become a Police officer?" Jane slurred after her second glass of wine.

"Uh, well I've always liked taking care of people and protect them. So now it feels great to have that as a daily job." I smiled, still on the half of my first glass of wine. I didn't need wine to have a good time. I was perfectly fine without it.

"So why did you choose Holmes Chapel out of all places?" Jane asked, refilling her glass again.

"I don't know, to be honest, it just feels like this town has a lot of unsolved mysteries. It's a great welcoming place, and it really feels like home. But there are some dark secrets in this town, I'm sure of it."

"Yeah, like..." Jane mumbled something sounding like a name, making me look up at her in confusion.

"Like what, like who?" I asked, determined to find out what she said.

"Like Officer Styles, he works at the police station as well. I'm not sure if you'll meet him tomorrow, but he's always very secretive and has his mind set on working alone. He's our best cop, but so mysterious..." Jane slurred before chugging down her third glass. The bottle was already close to empty and I wondered who this mysterious Officer Styles could be.

"Is there anyone who's close with Officer Styles?" I asked and she thought for a second before nodding.

"Yeah he had a partner, his name was Officer Horan. They always solved crimes together and were the 'fun' employees at work. They were serious though. They were the best team. But then Officer Horan died during an investigation and Styles was torn. He shut everyone out and hasn't had a partner since. He also shut down the investigation and never looked at it again, it's still unsolved and a serial killer is on the loose." Jane said, rolling off the couch onto the floor.

"A serial killer?" I exclaimed, looking at Jane with shock.

"Yeah, they were investigating a murder and more and more people kept dying. They think that the serial killer killed Horan as well." Jane said, closing her eyes and sighing.

"A good man he was, Horan, a gorgeous creature. He was funny and kind. Such a shame that he died." She said before snores left her lips.

She fell asleep.