XXII

Amara Winters' POV
Harry thought I was an inspiration. He told me that I was admirable because I've turned my youth traumas into something big, into something I could take care of. I could protect children and innocent people. But I had to get this serial killer out of the way first.

Harry and I ended up talking for another hour before we went on street-patrol. We got to know each other better and Harry was a pretty chill guy. He really cared about people and the world, but you just had to break through that wall of coldness before you could see that. And I think I did a pretty good job at that.

Harry pulled people over who drove faster than the speed limit while I wrote tickets and placed them on the windshields. I felt bad as I placed the tickets on the cars, but it was my job. I did somehow 'forget' some cars that looked like they were in desperate need of fixing. I know I was judging, but whenever I see a car that's almost falling apart, I just feel bad for the driver. Maybe they don't have a paycheck that big, or just don't care about the appearance of their car. But I still felt the urge to skip those cars and write an extra little number on the tickets of the fancy-looking cars.

"How's everything going here, Officer?" Harry asked as he passed me and put a ticket on a windshield.

"Not bad, how about you with the race cars, Officer?" I asked and he chuckled.

"Pulled a few over, but I think the big race is already finished." He said and I smirked.

"Fair play, Styles," I said before leaning against the wall of an alleyway. Harry followed my lead and also leaned against the wall, right next to me.

"I'm really glad that you're my partner, I feel like I don't tell you that enough." Harry spoke and I rolled my eyes, chuckling at his 'heartfelt' words.

"Yeah, you've told me about six times already. I mean I know I'm great and thanks for boosting my ego, but it gets old after a while." Harry laughed and playfully nudged my shoulder. I faked a tumble and heard Harry laugh as I laid on the cold concrete. We suddenly heard a scream and we looked into the direction it came from. It came from the end of the alley, all the way to the back where it was too dark for us to see what's going on. Harry and I cautiously tiptoed over to it, our backs glued against the wall. We held our hands near our weapons but retracted them when we saw just one girl standing there, shaking with fear. Her eyes went wider as she saw us approach and tears slid down her cheeks.

"Hey what's wrong?" I asked, rushing to her side. Harry stayed behind, cautiously looking around in the shadows.

"I-I-... someone-" She burst into tears again and I gently pulled her with me out of the alleyway.

"What's your name?"

"S-Stacy." She cried as we came into the light. I took the opportunity to fully look at her. She had red hair, red lips and looked as if she was in her twenties.

"What happened?" I asked, rubbing circles on her back with my hand while guiding her to the police car. Stacy just stayed quiet, she only glanced at Harry once before immediately looking down.

"We can't help you if you don't tell us what's going on," I said and she started fiddling with her hands.

"I can't..." She whispered and I sighed. She looked up again and I noticed her staring at Harry with a look that I couldn't place.

"Can you just drop me off at my house?" She asked and I nodded. She gave us the address and I walked her to her front door, making sure she was okay.

"Just a day full of surprises."