III

Amara Winter's POV
Waking up I felt weird, I wasn't lying on my bed, I was lying on the couch. Jane fell asleep last night, so I stayed with her in the living room. Her story had freaked me out a bit. But I couldn't do anything about it, it had already happened and I wouldn't be able to change anything even if I wanted to.

"Good morning!" Jane cheerily said as I entered the kitchen, a delicious smell of eggs and bacon filling my nose.

"It smells great." I complimented and she smiled.

"I took a few painkillers and ingredients for the food, hope you don't mind." She said and I shook my head.

"Of course I don't. I'm already thankful that you wanted to make breakfast. You know what, I'll set the table. Would you like some orange juice with that?" I asked and she nodded.

"Yes please." I grabbed two glasses and the orange juice. I brought it to the table and filled the two glasses, walking back to the kitchen and grabbing two plates for the food.

—————

"So how are you feeling?" Jane asked as I fixed my uniform once more before forcing my arms to stop.

"I'm a bit nervous, obviously. I've done plenty of missions in my city, but this is a whole different town. So yeah, I kinda feel like the pressure is on a bit."

"Don't worry honey, I'll show you around, introduce you to people and make you feel comfortable. Don't forget that I'm there as well, you can always come to me for help. I'm not telling you that as your colleague but as your friend. When the pressure is too high, come to me." I hugged Jane before we entered the big building. I looked around in awe, it was way better organized than the one in my hometown.  

"So this is where my little office is," Jane said, showing me the room that her office indeed was in. It was decorated with all kinds of 'Jane' things. Pictures stood on her desk, pink papers and other decorations flourished the room, making me smile at her typical decorations.
Jane then showed me around more of the building. She showed me important rooms, investigation rooms, interrogation rooms, and rooms where all the files were kept in. Some were even locked up in big vaults, just to make sure they were locked away well.

We were now on our way to the break room to get coffee. Jane was holding a few files that she needed to print and I was looking through one of them. It was an old, solved case. About an older couple who were robbed by their grandson. I was looking at the sentence that the boy got when I suddenly bumped into something hard, yet soft at the same time. I almost fell and dropped the file onto the floor, the front page falling out.
The man in front of me picked up the file map and the loose page, studying it with a frown on his face.

"Oh, hi Officer," I said while smiling, noticing the uniform that the grumpy man in front of me was wearing. He looked absolutely gorgeous, his curls falling over his forehead and the tips hanging over his emerald eyes. His arms looked very muscular and I noticed how the man towered over me, making me feel at least a bit intimidated. He looked at me for a split second before shoving the file map and the loose page into my hands and walking past me, his long legs taking big strides. He was mesmerising but really rude.

"That, my dear, is Officer Styles," Jane whispered as she followed your gaze to the tall man who had the effect of people making way for him. He was a mystery for sure.

Oh, hi Officer.