XXXVI

Harry Styles' POV
I'd done it, I'd asked Amara out. I'd never been more nervous in my life, I felt like a fool, just standing there and stuttering while she giggled at my lame attempts to speak. But she said yes, and I couldn't be happier. I'd liked her for a while now, the way she actually cared, the way she laughed at all my stupid jokes. She was an amazing person and she was the first person to actually ask how I was holding up, with Niall's death and all. No one, in all those years, had asked me how I was doing. They hadn't taken the time to show that they cared by simply comforting me. They just expected me to like them and then they'd be offended when I acted rude towards them. What a strange society we live in.

I was standing in my kitchen, preparing everything that we'd need tonight. I was gonna bring Amara to this place that Niall and I used to go whenever we needed some time to just calm down or have some fun. There was this spot on the beach with rocks, Niall and I used to jump from them, into the water. Or we'd sit on the sand and just watch the ocean, read some books or sing, while Niall played the guitar. I was planning on singing and playing the guitar too since Niall had taught me how to play the guitar when we were in high school. He truly was the best friend anyone could wish for.

"Sweet wonderful you
You make me happy with the things you do
Oh, can it be so
This feeling follows me wherever I go." I sang along to 'You Make Loving Fun' by Fleetwood Mac. I'd prepared a playlist of Amara and I's favourite songs of them, as she loved Fleetwood Mac as well. I walked to my room and threw a button-up shirt on, quickly buttoning it, but leaving the last few open. I then threw on a pair of trousers and put on my Chelsea boots. I looked into the mirror, fixing my hair and clothes before winking, then cringing, at myself. I walked back to the kitchen to grab the bag with food and the bouquet of flowers. I checked my appearance one more time before taking a deep breath and stepping out the door.

—————

I slammed my car door a bit too harshly, creating a loud noise, most probably annoying half the neighbourhood. I ran my hand through my hair and semi-confidently started walking to Amara's flat. I held the flower bouquet in my left hand as I pressed the button to the second floor with my right hand. My stomach was jumping, turning, flipping and doing cartwheels all at once, that's how nervous I was. I was gonna have an actual date with the girl I liked, I'd say that's a pretty good reason to be nervous.

The elevator's doors opened and I took small steps towards Amara's apartment, the feeling of nervousness and anxiousness growing with every step I took. I took a deep breath before raising my hand and knocking on the door, it's only then that I realize there's a doorbell right next to the front door. Should I ring it? I don't want Amara to think that I'm impatient and it'd just be rude to ring the doorbell right after I've knocked on the door. But what if she didn't hear me knocking on the door?

"Stop it Harry, get your shit together." I hissed before expectantly looking at the door. I waited another minute before ringing the doorbell, silently cursing at myself for being an impatient asshole. I frowned as the door still wasn't opened. I waited a few minutes before ringing the doorbell again.

"Amara? Are you in there?" I asked, but I received no answer. I took my phone out of the back pocket of my jeans and dialed Amara's number. I waited for it to go over, but it just went straight to voicemail. I sighed and spent another ten minutes knocking on her door and talking to a literal wall, or door, before I got tired of it and turned around. I felt betrayed and hurt, I'd been preparing this date for the last couple of hours and Amara just stood me up. Where the hell could she be? If she didn't want to go on that date, she could've just fucking told me.

I felt tears burn in my eyes as I stepped out of the elevator, my head hung low and the flower bouquet loosely held by my fingertips. My lip quivered and I felt my heart clench. This is the exact fucking reason why I don't let anyone in, they always end up leaving me anyway. I walked to the back of the flat and opened one of the dumpsters, not caring which one it was, and harshly threw the bouquet in it. I slammed it shut, tears blurring my vision, but then quickly turned back to the dumpster. I opened it again and my eyes widened. The dumpster was filled with bottles of familiar wine. I grabbed one out of it and looked at the label, the big letters imprinting in my memory, 'CHATEAU LA TOUR CARNET'.

"What the..."