XIV

Amara Winters' POV
"Please shoot your shot while you still have the chance." That sentence haunted me for the past week. Harry and I had been working on the case and working out the new information that we'd found about the case. It didn't make sense that Mr. Wilson supposedly had brought back the bottled, but they weren't registered. Something was up, and Harry and I were going to find out exactly what.

"Okay, now without avoiding the subject, you're going to tell me what's going on between you and Officer Styles," Jane said as soon as I opened the front door of my apartment. She entered the apartment, leaving me in shock for a few seconds. I closed the door and just followed her into the living room. I saw her sitting on the couch with her legs crossed and her hands resting on her lap.

"Well, go on. Explain." She said with a daring look on her face. I chuckled and rolled my eyes before taking my mug of coffee and sitting down on the fauteuil opposite the couch.

"We reopened on the serial killer case that was closed after Niall's death-"

"Who's Niall?"

"Oh, Niall is Officer Horan's first name. Niall Horan, I'm sorry, I'm just used to saying his first name. But anyway, we're working on that case and we finally got a lead, the killer might be a client who bought a lot of wine since there are always bottles of wine visible in the crime scene pictures. We just scratched a few suspects who Harry and I have interrogated. We're heading to the next location this afternoon." I said and Jane nodded understandingly.

"I'm sorry if I was rude, it was just pretty weird that Officer Styles SUDDENLY trusts you and that you're all 'partners in crime', you know?" Jane said, making me frown.

"What do you mean 'partners in crime'?" I asked and she shrugged.

"Well, it's pretty weird that out of all people, all the people who grew up in this town and have known him for years, he chooses you to work with him on a case. You moved here from a different town and know almost nothing about Holmes Chapel and the things that have happened here. It's just weird that he chose you to be his partner. 'S all." She sighed, making it obvious that she's implying something.

"Are you trying to imply something by saying that?" I asked, but she shook her head.

"No, no! Definitely not, I just think that there are a few people who are a teeny bit jealous of your success with Officer Styles." I raised my eyebrows as the words left her lips.

"You think?"

"Okay, okay! I might've overheard a few people from the station say it. But that doesn't mean they hate you!" She exclaimed making me frown.

"If that was true, you wouldn't even have said the last sentence." I sighed and Jane looked defeated.

"I'm sorry, they don't hate you, I'm sure of it. They're just jealous that you swooped in and stole the spot that they'd been wanting for years. Working with the best Officer of Holmes Chapel."

"Meaning Harry." I scoffed and Jane carefully nodded.

"I take it that Harry is Officer Styles' first name?" Jane asked and I nodded.

"Well, I guess that people are jealous because you're on first-name basis too." She laughed, trying to lighten the mood, but I just placed my head in my hands and groaned.

"Ugh, I can't believe that people actually hate me for that! He suggested working with me! It was his choice! He offered me an opportunity and I took it. Is that such a selfish thing to do?" I asked and Jane shook her head.

"No, no! Of course not honey." She said, frantically shaking her head.

"I can't believe that I made enemies without knowing I did." I groaned, burying my face in my hands.

"It's fine honey, you won't even notice their jealousy, I promise."