V

Amara Winters' POV
Lately, I'd been experiencing an uneasy feeling in my stomach. Like something bad was bound to happen. As it did, only two weeks after I'd started working at the police station. I hadn't been in Holmes Chapel for long but already discovered that the town had some dark secrets. Sixteen young women disappeared over the last few years. But the killer hadn't been captured yet, no one was even as close to a clue of who the killer could be. Only Officer Styles did, but he didn't seem like the type to chat.

"So, what have you been working on lately?" Jane asked as you were sitting at a table in a cafeteria.

"Well, I've been going through some old files, helped with some cases, even had a few calls to arrest people," I said after taking a sip of my milkshake.

"Yeah, I was about to say something about that. Are you more of a 'police officer' type or a 'detective' type? 'Cause I've seen you solving cases more than actually going to crime scenes... no offense." Jane said while eating her cookie.

"None taken, and yeah I guess you could say I'm in both fields, to be honest. I'm good at solving cases if I say so myself, but I'm also pretty good at arresting people and protecting the town, you know?" I explained, getting her point.

"Yeah I get it, you're kinda like Styles. Fast with solving cases and a master in the physical parts of the job. Though I don't know if you're a master, I haven't seen you arrest people. And now I'm just rambling on." She rambled, making me laugh.

"It's okay, but I'm still very curious about Styles though. He seems so mysterious and introvert, yet he always smiles at people in the hallways or listens to their conversations." I said, frowning and drinking from my milkshake.

"Yeah, he is a complicated man. He used to brighten up the whole station with Horan, but since he's gone... Styles just hasn't been the same." Jane explained and I looked down at my phone.

"Well I just hope he can stand me at least a bit, I'd hate to have an 'enemy' at work." I laughed, jokingly saying 'enemy'.

—————

"Good morning Amara." The Chief greeted me at the coffee machine and I smiled at him.

"Hi Chief, how's your day been so far?" I asked politely as we both waited for the coffee to finish.

"It's been busy, but alright. I heard you've been looking through some old cases to try and catch up with the town history." He said and I nodded.

"Yeah, I was very intrigued by the way that family was saved from their mentally-unstable uncle. I mean it wasn't great of course, but it was an interesting case and trial." I said and the Chief nodded, taking his mug out from under the machine.

"Yeah, it was a long process, but at least the family is safe and the uncle is in an asylum."

"Well, I guess that I'd better continue with the last few ones, just call me if you need me," I said politely as I took my mug as well. The Chief took a sip of his coffee before he seemed to remember something.

"Oh, can you do me a favour? Would you please thoroughly look through the case with the sixteen-women serial killer? It should be between the pile of files. It's one of the few that isn't solved yet, and we've been getting notions of dead women again. I just want you to be prepared to get on the case when needed, okay?" The Chief asked and I nodded.

"Yes, yes, of course. I'll immediately look into it." I said before we both said goodbye and parted our ways. I now had my own little office, which made it easier for me to dig into all the files. I actually felt more like a detective than a police officer, but I didn't mind.

This was a very interesting part of the job and I wouldn't change it for the world.