Chapter 17: Dreams Too Good to be True

Even after Princess Lapis and her friends escaped from the illegal scientists, they were all tired and ready to camp.

"Please let this be the last time." Lapis said under her breath.

"Alright, but let's just be careful about the island we choose to camp on." Stevonnie spoke up. "The last time we picked an island randomly, it didn't go over so well."

Peridot popped her head above the water's surface and scanned the horizon for any sign of an island. And to her delight, she saw one just a few hundred feet away.

"Hey, over here!" she called out to her friends below the water. "That one looks promising."

Everyone joined the small green mermaid to see the island she found.

"We should probably get a better look, just in case." Opal suggested.

The moment the group arrived at the island, Lapis used her locket to transform into a human again. The moment her feet touched the beach, the princess quickly noticed how soft the sand. It was almost like walking on clouds.

"Mmmm, this sand feels nice under my feet." the blue girl smiled.

"Hold on, I recognize this island." Rainbow Quartz said. "It's very dangerous."

"What do you mean by that?" Pearl asked.

"A long time ago, some important mermaids cast a spell that covered the island in a thick haze. It acted like a smokescreen to keep other mermaids from getting too close." the light pink mermaid explained.

"Well, there's no fog now." Steven commented. "Somebody must have broken the spell."

"That's impossible." Sardonyx disagreed. "That spell was cast by some of the most powerful mermaid magic. It would take a lot of powerful magic to undo it."

"You mean powerful and dark magic." Connie said. "I bet my allowance Jasper and the Black Scale Clan must've been here before us and undid the cloaking spell."

"This island doesn't look dangerous to me." Lapis said confused. "I'm going to go check it out."

"Wait, Lapis." Jamie halted her. "I'm coming with you."

"Okay, but only you." the young princess told him. "Everyone else, wait here until we come back."

"But what if you're gone for too long?" Padparadscha asked. "Shouldn't one of us come after you?"

"Maybe, but I don't think that'll be necessary." Lapis responded. "Come on, Jamie."

The princess and her boyfriend trekked through the island's jungle, which was surprisingly not that thick as they went deeper into the island. When they got to the inner most part of it, they saw that it was a wide open, grassy field dotted with sweet-smelling flowers. Across from the two lovers, there was a patch of moss right next to a short waterfall covered with orchids that emptied to a small lagoon.

"I don't see what is it about this island that mermaids needed to use magic to keep others safe from it." Jamie told his girlfriend. "This place is so tranquil and beautiful."

"I know." Lapis said with a yawn. "Maybe the other mermaids were just exaggerating."

As the pair continued to walk on, the blue girl began to feel a little sluggish. The scent of the flowers had a mollifying effect on her.

"Why do I feel so sleepy?" she asked herself as she yawned again.

"Must have been tangling with those scientists." her boyfriend guessed.