Chapter 14: Unexpected Visitors

The key meeting was over, and Cross had stayed at Dream and Nightmare's house. Again. Last time it was because there way too many questions and the two didn't want him leave to in case of anymore injuries. Well, Nightmare didn't really care. He didn't want to on both days, but Dream insisted he slept here, since Dust was pretty close to having a full house. Dream had a point, but Cross didn't really appreciate it.

He was actually friends with Dust, unlike the two brothers. Sure, Dream was kind and all, but he hadn't even known him for a while. Same with Nightmare, and they didn't exactly start off the right way.

He didn't feel safe here, because Dream had never used the aura block, meaning they could have already found him. And what about Nightmare? He was dangerous, Chara could barely land a hit on him. As well as the striking resemblance he had to those goop monsters. Cross didn't trust him.

Speaking of Chara, he had been unconscious the whole while. When Cross has woken up, he didn't pay attention to Chara's disappearance. Throughout the key meeting was when he finally noticed it.

And now here he was, sitting in the living room, with nothing to do. Feisty was again on his lap, having quickly grown attached to him.

It was weird, considering Cross' rather useless animal form. Feisty should have hated him, but apparently didn't really care. He looked around at the seemingly endless number of books on the bookshelves. That was oddly charming to Cross, this house covered in books. They were everywhere, and it made a nice calm feel.

Well, maybe not in the night, but it was a few hours until that came. Then he could try to look for guardians, in the haunted forest. Dream had mentioned to him about there being a key, but Cross has already known that. The thing is, he didn't know if the key's magic had seeped into forest and actually made it haunted.

He hadn't taken it, so there must have been something holding him back. It was obvious the key was in there, because of the similar magic aura it held in the haunted forest. One of the many reasons why people didn't like it in there, they don't know it's a key causing it. Even though it was obvious, no guardian wanted to go in there. It's not like you should meet up with the other key guardians.

Not even he went in there, for some unknown reason. Whatever it was, Cross was grateful. Or maybe it was a trap.

Sighing, Cross saw a book on the coffee table, a very thick book. It wasn't the magic one that contained information on the keys, no. Nightmare had been reading this during their ridiculous key meeting. Grabbing it, Cross noticed a little bookmark about halfway through the book.

He opened it, subconsciously petting Feisty who had already fallen asleep.

Cross didn't really care about reading, there was basically nothing to read in his childhood. So he wasn't really good at it either.

It was complicated to read, so many big and descriptive words that Cross didn't understand. How did Nightmare manage to read this without getting stuck? Well, he probably did and Cross didn't notice.

"Do you take that long to read a page?" He yelped, dropping the book and waking up Feisty. Out of reflex, Cross summoned a knife and chucked it at his attacker.

Nightmare had caught the book with a tentacle. And the knife. Feisty had scrambled off Cross' lap and sat on the floor, looking at him questioningly. A pause went through the two, as they seemed to have some sort of staring contest, before Cross snapped his fingers, the knife disappeared.

"Sorry about that..." Nightmare only nodded, bringing the book to his own hands.

"I was wondering where I left it." Oh. He was already reading it. But it's not like Cross was actually interested, he wasn't far enough to be.