Chapter 20: Spy

The most recent test was a failure, or so what it seemed to be.

No, he was examining their strength, trying to figure out their weaknesses as he jotted down notes.

As cautious as everyone was, even one day of spying can get enough information about your target. The only experiment that had failed was his little invitation. Everything had gone according to plan, yet the guests had still managed to ruin it all.

He only chuckled at the memory, going over his plans for the fourteenth time that day. His index finger skimmed through the words and notes he had put down, wanting to make sure there is nothing left up to chance. There is no room for mistakes, he was sure of it. If it messed up, he was dead.

Soon, he'll understand everything he needed to know, and this will all end. Smiling, he turned his gaze towards the pair of beautifully designed keys laying on his desk. Their magic aura and coloured tint completely faded, nothing to be seen or felt of it.

Unlike the rest of the keys, these don't have guardians. He had made sure of that, that their existence no longer remained. Somehow, none of the keys had claimed him to be their guardian, which contradicted with how they were created.

He was a guardian for a key once, except that key was stolen, and had rejected him of a guardian.

It was as if they could feel his power...

He started laughing maniacally, the sound echoed and bounced out of the office room, and into the long hallways. Everything he worked up to in life has turned against him in the worst way possible.

He had already tried going the nice route, but in the end, it had done nothing, and he wasted about six years of his life. Trying to be the good guy of the story; see what good it does you.

Now he won't have any accidents happen, he'll get rid of any past mistake that stands in his own way.

Including his own son.

•———————————•

"Is she suspicious?"

"No, Killer."

"What about him?"

"He's carrying a baby."

"That doesn't make him innocent. Fathers can be guilty."

"Do you think a child abuser has time for tracking down guardians?"

"Maybe..."

"Killer."

"Suspicious."

There was a brief pause, as Dream pretended to read the newspaper, his eye sockets shifting over at the humans and monsters around him.

Killer tapped him on the shoulder, to which Dream returned with an annoyed expression. The taller pointed to an old lady exiting a store nearby.

"Is that person suspicious?" He facepalmed.

"Killer, for crying out loud, that's an old lady!"

"A shifty old lady..."

"Just because we said it could be anyone, doesn't mean it really could be anyone. These people are not trying to do anything!" He immediately lowered his voice in embarrassment as multiple people turned towards him. Killer took his hand and trailed closer to Dust, who was trying to go about his day as much as possible.