25

𝐁𝐀𝐃 𝐌𝐎𝐎𝐍 𝐑𝐈𝐒𝐈𝐍𝐆
young, dumb, and full of existential dread

"THANKS for coming, Ric," Damon said as he let Alaric into the Boarding House, "Can I get you something to drink? Coffee? Bourbon? Bourbon in your coffee?"

"Elena mentioned you needed my help," Alaric said, walking into the living room to see Stefan and Elena on the couch while Echo laid on the couch across from them, laying upside.

She grinned at the teacher as he sat down beside her, giving her an amused look.

"Yeah, we were hoping you could shed some light on the Lockwood family," Stefan said, leaning forward as Elena looked at Echo with raised eyebrow. Her sister has been acting weird, weirder than usual. After the whole Caroline thing, she's been more distant, always waking up to go jogging, then headed into the woods to train. And if she's not training, she's staying in her room doing god knows what.

"Now why would I know anything about the Lockwoods?" Alaric asked, confused.

Damon sat on the arm of the couch next to Echo as he spoke, "Well, you wouldn't. But your dead-not dead vampire wife might."

"Isobel's research," Echo simply said, reaching for Damon's arm, and then she pulled herself up, turned around, and sat on the couch like a normal person.

"You had said she spent years researching this town," Stefan said.

Alaric sighed and said, "Isobel's research here - Mystic Falls - was rooted in folklore and legend. At the time, most of which I thought was fiction."

"Like that amazing vampire story," Damon said with a smile.

Echo sighed flicked Damon on the neck which made him wince, and then push her off the couch. She fell to the floor and glared up at him, her tailbone hurting. She kicked him off the arm of the chair and laughed when he landed on his face.

"You two, stop," Elena scolded, shaking her head. "I swear, sometimes I think I'm your mother, not your sister."

Echo grinned and plopped down on the couch, shocking Ric when she laid her head on his lap. He raised an eyebrow at her as she grinned at him, placing her feet on Damon's lap when he finally sat down, again.

"She likes it when you play with her hair," Damon said, smirking at Alaric, but felt a ping in his undead heart when she had chosen to lay her head down on Ric's lap, not his.

"Getting back on track..." Elena trailed off, raising an eyebrow at Damon. "Aside from vampires, what else?"

"Lycanthrope."

"Wait, like werewolves?" Echo asked before groaning. "Should've known..." She shouldn't be surprised because once there's vampires, there is also werewolves. Why wouldn't there be?