26

𝐌𝐄𝐌𝐎𝐑𝐘 𝐋𝐀𝐍𝐄
sarcasm isn't an attitude, it's an art

"THANKS for letting me invite Caroline," Echo spoke as she walked into the kitchen, going straight for the coffee

"THANKS for letting me invite Caroline," Echo spoke as she walked into the kitchen, going straight for the coffee. "She could use a day of distraction."

Jenna had organized a barbeque, and Echo had immediately asked to invite Caroline, knowing the blonde needed a break after turning into a vampire and breaking up with Matt to protect him.

"She's not the plus one I'm worried about," Jenna said before raising an eyebrow at the girl. "Why is Damon coming?"

"Because Alaric is a pity-taker," Elena said, looking over at her. "Come on, Jenna, be nice."

"I'll be nice when Damon learns to keep his paws off you," Jenna said, making Echo smirk.

Suddenly, Mason Lockwood walked into the room, saying, "Ah, good news! Found the shot glasses."

"And that would be my exit," Echo and Elena said simultaneously before exiting the room.

Echo went and found Caroline, who was holding the bowl of chips closely. She frowned at the newly turned vampire, and asked, "You okay?"

"I'm starving," Caroline answerd, stuffing her mouth with the chips.

Echo pursed her lips, looking the blonde up and down. "You still look beautiful, by the way."

Caroline paused and smiled at her bestfriend. "You really mean that?"

Echo smiled and said, "Yeah. Come on, let's go sit outside for a minute."

Caroline nodded and smiled, and the duo went outside, and approached Elena who was on the phone.

She saw the two and said, "Call me when you can."

"Was that Stefan?" Caroline asked as she sat down in the seat next to Elena.

Echo plopped down on the porch swing and started to swing back and forth like a little kid as Elena said, "He hasn't called me back. I'm trying to decide if I should be worried."

"I'm sure he's fine," Caroline stated, leaning back into the chair. "God, I cannot stop eating. Stefan says it's a great way to sublimate the cravings. It's horrible. Fighting the urge for blood every minute of every day."

"I know that Stefan really hates that part of himself," Elena said with a nod.

Caroline nodded and said, "Well, yeah. And he hates that you're a constant temptation."

"He said that?" Elena asked, making Echo raise her eyebrows.

Caroline nodded and said, "The desire to rip out your jugular every time he's with you? Trust me, it's there. It's why I had to break up with Matt."