Learning More than I Thought

Arella was about to go to sleep when she heard an alarming sound coming from Beastboy's room. It sounded like a straining noise with the wind rushing through. She opened the door to see him struggling to close a portal he made. "Beastboy?!"

"I... I think I... got it!" Beastboy strained. He finally closed the portal. "Whew, that's a relief."

"What were you doing?"

"I was just practicing some late night teleportation. That's all."

"You opened a portal to Azar knows where" Arella mentioned seriously.

"It was a meadow with bunnies in it. Don't worry, I didn't choose the most dangerous place on Azarath," Garfield assured. Arella stared at the green teen. He was starting to adapt to the culture pretty quickly.

"Then why were you having a hard time closing the portal?" The purple sorceress asked.

"I... forgot how the portal can become... difficult to close," Beastboy confessed. A sweat drop appeared on Arella's head as she narrowed her eyes at the teen. "Sorry for disturbing you."

"Why were you practicing your spells at night?" Arella asked, trying to hide her slight annoyance.

"If I'm going to get back to my original time period, I have to make some... late night studying," Beastboy replied.

"That can be good and dangerous. Your desire to get back home is understandable, but you could also make a crucial mistake in your sorcery."

"My life has always been a... hazardous lifestyle," Beastboy smirked. Arella gave the hint of a smile.

"Well, since you're so confident in your practice, then you wouldn't mind helping me with my task tomorrow," Arella suggested.

"Task? Of what?"

"In order to help you with your learning, I have to journey to the library of Corinth to find the supplies I need," Arella explained.

"And the library of Azarath doesn't have the stuff you're looking for?" Beastboy guessed. The sorceress shook her head. "I guess I can spare some time. Where is it?"

"It's in another dimension. Probably close to the dimension of bunnies you were... experimenting with."

"Thanks for making it sound childish," Beastboy grumbled, noting her hint of sarcasm. He lived with Raven before so he expected some similar characteristics with her mother. He just didn't think it was almost identical. Arella was at least more restrained in her sarcastic and mischievous comebacks than Raven, but there were times that it would flare up and make itself known. "Anyways, I better get some sleep before tomorrow. Besides, how hard is this place?"

"Not very hard. You should adapt to it fairly quickly," Arella smirked as she left the green teen worried and confused.

"Welcome to the outskirts of Corinth, Beastboy," Arella announced as they came through the portal. Beastboy stepped through to see a bustling busy city of anthropomorphic animals. Insects, flies, sea creatures, and land animals darted in and out the sky-high buildings. Special landings were made for the birds of the air. Beastboy lifted his foot to see insects in specialized tubing systems to prevent them from being stepped on. They were all dressed in different fashions that reflected nations that Beastboy was familiar with on Earth. "Well, does it appeal to you?"

"This will definitely get Cyborg off of meat," Beastboy said in wonderment.

"Hey! Watch it, pal!" Shouted a hedgehog in a suit that Beastboy nearly stepped on.

"Oh! Sorry," Beastboy apologized. "So, where is this thing and why do you need me?"

"I need a couple of dragon's scales and this is the place to get them," she explained. Beastboy looked at the purple haired sorceress. From what he could see, there were only actual animals in this city, not mystical ones.