Stronger Than you Think

Beastboy sat nervously next to Arella as they waited for Azar to show up. Arella was silently meditating while she levitated off the ground. Garfield struggled not to say anything until Arella spoke. "Say what you want to say."

"I'm sorry," Beastboy burst out, standing up. Arella sighed as she floated down to her feet. "I'm sorry that I didn't tell you earlier, I just-"

"I'm not mad at you Beastboy," Arella explained.

"You're not?" Garfield asked, completely confused.

"No, I'm worried. If what you say is true about Queen Fallitur, then this is very... unprecedented," Arella muttered thoughtfully.

"Why?"

"While it's normal for a mortal to fall in love with a demon of some kind, like me, I've never heard of a demon even liking a mortal with a genuine purpose of just... mutual liking," Arella explained.

"Uh?" Garfield said confused.

"A demon has never had a mortal as a friend before," Arella clarified, "And it's obvious why she did so."

"Because of my charming looks," Beastboy smirked with a shine on his sharp teeth, flexing his muscles. Arella couldn't help but laugh a bit.

"No," She replied as Beastboy felt deflated. "It's because of two things. Your... unusual appearance."

"What do you mean?"

"You look like an animal. Sharp claws, sharp teeth, pointed ears. Many demons would find that appealing. Plus you are very adorable in the other sense," Arella smirked at Beastboy pouting.

"What's the other thing?"

"Your character. You were willing to heal a demon without caring whether or not that demon would turn against you. Even a 'mischievous' demon would find that awe-inspiring," Arella replied. Then she thought. "Hasn't my daughter ever told you this? She is half demon and that would make you twice the 'potential mate'."

"AH! I-" Beastboy was so glad when Azar popped up. They both bowed down to the waist before the shining wise old lady.

"Arella, Garfield, why have you called me?" Azar asked.

"Great Azar, Grootslang, the wise snake of knowledge, is requesting help from Beastboy to travel to the realm of the Goth Afa demons." Azar's eyes widened as she looked at Beastboy.

"I... helped the queen when she was injured," Beastboy replied nervously. Azar only smiled at him knowingly.

"The Goth Afa demons are not demons to be feared. They are much like children with no parent. If you have made alliances with the queen, she may be a great aside to you and all of Azarath. But-"

"But what?"

"The type of magic that demons use is called dark magic. It has great power but comes at a price. From my knowledge of light magic, there is no way to bypass that," Azar replied. "And it can corrupt other kinds of magic if one person uses it regularly and improperly."

"And there's no way to flip between that?" Beastboy guessed. Azar was silent for a moment.

"What is it that you seek?" She asked.

"If there was a way to 'shut off' light or dark magic, maybe... maybe Raven wouldn't have to train so hard to keep her powers intact." Azar sighed.

"Raven's condition is set in stone, unfortunately," Azar replied, causing the teen to feel dismayed. "However, you aren't like her. And I am not at liberty to discuss the dark magic in detail... from my end." Beastboy sensed that Azar was trying to tell him something. He just didn't know what. "But I do know that while dark magic is very powerful, it always requires a... price."