Chapter 1

(image not mine)

(image not mine)

Chapter 1

It was in the middle of winter—the harshest weather of Mairaxias. Dwarves, elves and even regular mortals are probably spending the night with their loved ones seeing that it's the only holiday that celebrates togetherness while being huddled by the fire and enjoying the warmth of the hearth as the snow falls outside, blanketing the ground with white powder.

It's Yule. Even though the air is freezing and my nose is probably turning purple from the long exposure to the frosty breeze, this time of the year is still my favorite. It seems perfect to me. How the sky bears aurora borealis and the ground seem to glisten under the decorative lights that the shop put out, it's just... magical.

"I'm sorry sweetie, I have no work to offer to you." The gentle maiden from the bakeshop said with a shake of her head. It's the fourth shop tonight and it's easy to see why job hunting, in the middle of the Yule, is hard. Shops are closing early and I still haven't had glimpse of hope in seeing any job to replace my last one.

You see, I've been fired today from my job as a waiter and instead of moping around, I took my separation pay and began job hunting again. Any job is good—I can carry things, clean, and even do some basic cooking. I'll take any job as long as I can pay my rent.

Entering the supposedly last stop, I breathed in the warm smell of bread cooking in the oven. It's a relatively nice restaurant that's mostly empty save for the ones buying some freshly baked goods probably for their evening celebration. Families celebrating Yule just... it just makes me jealous more than ever. It must be nice spending the holiday with your family—your loved ones.

"Hello Sir, what can I help you?" the young man behind the register smiled at me and I feel my cheeks warming. Come on, Elixir. Don't be shy.

"Um, hello Sir, I was wondering if there's a way I can apply for a job here. I bought my resume." I said and held my envelope out. Please, I need work. Source, help me for once.

"Oh, I'm not sure. Let me ask our, err—manager. Wait for a second." He said before disappearing into the small door behind the counter. The whole place seems friendly and nice, I just hope they have a job for me, it'll probably be nice working here.

Lost in my thought, I roamed my eyes around the place, it's somewhat huge with a counter hosting a chiller that displays cakes and a few pastries. The bread section is on its left and it has a variety of loaves that I'm pretty sure is freshly baked due to the warm aroma. I got a feeling that this is a casual restaurant/café that caters both who are on the go and those who wants to stay and enjoy the ambiance.

"Hi, are you the one looking for a job?" A somewhat deep yet mellow voice disturbed my thoughts and I looked back to the source of it. A man—no an elf with silver hair and light green eyes made me hold my breath. My god he is gorgeous, what the hell? No one told me to prepare for this. "Excuse me? Hello? You still here?" I heard him say making me blink my eyes. My cheeks warmed in embarrassment and I looked at my feet.