Chapter 5

Jun's pov

    We headed for the nurse's office in comfortable silence. Not saying anything would probably be the best. When we finally reached the room and walked right in. "What happened today?" The nurse says as if she knew he would be coming in today. That worries me, 'how many times has he been in here?' I thought to myself but let it slip my mind. 

     "He was beaten up, lying on the floor when I got to him. He has endless bruises." I said before Minghao could speak. "Is this true?" The nurse says, staring at Minghao. "Rain?" Minghao just nodded. 'What am I missing? Why are they so calm about this? This shouldn't be normal. What's going on? I have so many questions that I know won't be answered right now.' Before I could ask anything, the sting on my wrist started hurting even more. I hissed as the pain in my wrist grew. Both Minghao and the nurse looked at me, concerned.

    "Are you ok?" Minghao said with a bit of worry in his voice. "I'm fine; it's just my tattoo." I tried to speak calmly as I was holding my wrist. "It's your birthday today?" The nurse asks. Minghao and I both said yes at the same time. Then we looked away. I felt my face get hot, 'he remembered my birthday?'

   I turned, noticing the nurse helping Minghao with his wrist. I looked to see a slight pink tint on his face, and I just smiled. 'Cute.' I thought, but I think that a lot. I mean, look at him. He's practically perfect, his facial features, his body, him. I may have gotten a little into my head, but the next thing that happens pulls me straight out of my imagination. The nurse tried to pull Minghao's sleeves up to see how badly his wrist was hurt. Then Minghao quickly pulled his sleeves down before anyone could see. The nurse just looked at him weirdly, wondering why he wouldn't let anyone see his wrists.

    "My arm is fine," Minghao said, trying to calm his voice. I could hear it breaking. I looked at him to see tears in his eyes. My heart broke looking at him like this, and it was hard. The nurse nodded, and Minghao stood up to leave the room. We went outside, and I couldn't hold my tongue. "Are you ok?" I said, watching Minghao dry his eyes. "I'm fine." He said, but I wasn't buying it. Before I could say anything, he just whispered.

      "Happy Birthday, Jun." He said with a fake smile and walked away. 'What's hurting him, who's hurting him. I can't let him be like this. I want to make him happy. I want him to be the cute, smiley, happy person I knew him. 'I won't give up on you, Minghao; I will never give up.'