Chapter 6

Minghao's POV

            I walked home after the whole incident because I couldn't go back to class. Good thing my dad wasn't home. He would kill me if I was home early, and for what? Getting picked on and being bullied. Not from Rain and his little punks, but my dad and the whole world. I don't have one single friend here. I only have Jun, and we aren't even close. We don't even talk. I want to gather the courage to speak to him, get to know him. 'Who am I kidding? He probably doesn't even want to talk to me and thinks I'm just a charity case.'

            People tend to say things. A lot of things. Some are true. Some are just lies, secrets, and rumors. They all get out—most like the drama. I wish I were back in China, where I felt safe and had friends. Well, I was almost safe. After my mother died, my stepfather took over and watched my little brother and me. Well, I wouldn't consider that he even watched us. Even when we were little, we would have to fend for ourselves as a one and thirteen-year-old. He blamed me for her death. 'Maybe it was my fault that my mom died. Right? Perhaps I wasn't meant to be here.'

            "That has to be it, "I said with tears while sitting on my bed. 'Why was I put on this earth?'

            I quickly wiped away my tears when I heard Bai Lou running in. I have to be strong for him. "Gege!!!" Bai Lou ran in with the cutest pajamas on. "Why are you crying, gege?" He asked. "I wasn't. I just yawned, and my eyes watered." I said, smiling back. "Did he leave you here alone again? I swear I will-" before I could finish, Bai Lou interrupted. "I told him I didn't feel good."

            "You know he will get mad if you lie to him." I scolded him. He's too young. "I know. I didn't want to go to school today. Why are you home?" He asked with a smug look. "Why, you little." I grabbed him and started to tickle him. All I could hear were his small, soft, and adorable laughs.

            Bai Lou is my whole world, and I would protect him from whatever, whenever, and wherever. I would do anything for him. He is the only person I have left. If it weren't for him, I would already be gone. But I can't do that; I can't leave him here with that monster.

            We were laughing so hard we couldn't hear my stepfather come in. We stopped and looked at him. He looked pissed, and he would put everything on us. Well, only me; I wouldn't let him put the finger on my brother. Ever. I told Bai Lou to sit on my bed while I went outside the room with my father. A few minutes later, I was pinned up against the wall, and my father was screaming at me. All he did was beat me until I couldn't feel anything. I was numb, inside and out. All over.

            My stepfather just told me to go to my room. I went straight to the bathroom and looked into the mirror. I saw a broken figure. I don't even know who the person I'm looking at is. He's torn and beaten down. I'm bruised and scared. The worst part is that I'm used to this pain. Every day I go through this. I can't just call CPS, or they will split my brother and me up. My job is to protect Bai Lou, and that is it.

            I went into my bedroom to see Bai Lou crying on my bed. I walked up to him and hugged him tightly. "I promise he will never touch you. You will be safe," I assured him. "But what about you?" He asked, wiping away his tears.

"I'll be fine..."