two

EMARA

*****
***
**

A bored sigh came from me as I stayed perched at a small table in a cafe, two specific sets of eyes watching over me so that I could make it through the day without being trampled by paparazzi. I was drawing in my sketchbook while glancing at my phone for a call from Tristan.

He had been in Rome for almost three days, meaning he was supposed to be coming back today and would be home by around three in the afternoon today. I just needed that phone call.

I jumped when it began to vibrate, immediately putting my pencil down. I grabbed my phone and answered with no glance at the caller ID, pressing the phone to my ear.

"Tristan?"

"God, no," Jake said, making me sigh and close my eyes. "You're still waiting for his call?"

I didn't respond, a frown taking over my features.

"Fucking hell, Emara, if he calls you that he's staying for more meetings I'm moving you to my place." I rolled my eyes at how dramatic Jake was, grabbing my pencil and continuing. "I'm kinda busy doing something-"

"Or someone," I muttered under my breath.

"-So I'll come by later to pick you up. We can go out tonight if that's what you want."

I sighed, tapping my pencil against the sketchbook. I felt like staying in as it continued to rain, reading a book while drinking some tea. I didn't want to go out - ever. Going out to party wasn't a forte I was ever used to despite how much Jake had dragged me out to nightclubs with him.

"You don't want to go out, do you?" Jake asked and I could imagine his eye-roll of how boring I was.

"Not really," I murmured, beginning to add shading into the eye I had just made. "I was hoping you would come over and we could watch some movies, have a few drinks..."

Jake chuckled. "I will get you out of that stupid penthouse, Emara."

"I would like the see you try," I retorted, smiling. I looked at the bodyguard in front of me, frowning as he stood up instead of taking a seat. "Just a moment, Jake - um, Kylar?"

At the sound of his name being called, Kylar looked back at me with a small smile. "Ms. Giovanni. Is there anything I can do for you?"

"Yes, actually," I said, using my foot to push the chair across from me out. "You can sit down. You're making me nervous."

Kylar chuckled, shaking his head before taking a seat. "Thank you, Miss."

"I've told you to call me Emara," I said, smiling at him before grabbing the menu I kept with me. "Don't tell Mr. Black I'm doing this, though. You know how seriously he takes everything."

Kylar nodded with another "thank you", going through everything silently. I pulled my attention away from him and put it towards Jake, who let out a loud burp at the exact moment.

"Gross," I said with a chuckle.

"Shut up. I hear Tristan's brother is coming to New York."

"How did you find out?" I asked, my eyebrows pushed together.

"Paparazzi found out about it. It isn't every day you hear something about the mysterious Kade Black, you know. The fact that he's coming to New York is pretty big for all of the gossipers."

"It isn't for anything important, really," I said, shrugging my shoulders while giving the waitress that appeared a warm smile. I mouthed to Kylar that I would pay and he frowned, shaking his head. "All I know is that there's a family reunion of Tristan's parents' house happening tonight and I have to go with Tristan."