twenty three

KADE
**
***
*****

"I was thinking more along the lines of sushi or something," Emara muttered, chewing on her lip as she stared up at the restaurant, then looked back at me.

"Fancy restaurants are similar to sushi restaurants, they just don't have those iPads that you can order from."

Emara rolled her eyes at my statement and I grinned, giving her a quick kiss on the lips before moving back and closing the car door. Emara tugged her coat over her shoulders and I wrapped an arm around her, pulling her close so that she was warm.

"You didn't have to go all out and fancy, you know," Emara reminded me with a chuckle. "It isn't like you to take me all out like this. I prefer our fast-food dates, I'll have you know."

I couldn't stop the grin from growing on my lips. I knew she didn't like it when I took her out anywhere expensive, or when I bought her anything. But as much as she said she despised it, I could always see the smile threatening to break through her scowl.

"You love me," I said cheekily, leaning down and kissing her slowly. Emara hummed, running her hand up my chest before cupping the back of my head. I suppressed a moan, moving my hand to her hips and parting her lips with my tongue.

"Consider it a blessing that I do," she then said breathlessly, pulling away with a playful glare in her gaze. "I wanted fast food."

"You always do, baby," I said, cupping her round ass in my hands. Fuck, she looks good in her dress. "I wanted tonight to be special. Take you out, spoil you a bit, and then we can go back to laying in bed eating Chinese and watching Avengers. Sound like a plan?"

Emara smiled and nodded her head in agreement, taking my hand in hers. We walked inside, talking lowly, and stopped at the tiny podium. A blonde hostess appeared and greeted us both with a kind smile, guiding us to the booth I had reserved for tonight. We sat next to each other and I moved my arm around her waist, kissing her temple.

"How many times have I told you how beautiful you look?" I mumbled, smiling when I saw the much larger smile grow on her lips before she looked at me.

"From today alone or since we've been together?" She teased, opening her menu and looking through it. "Because from today it was a total of one-hundred and fifty-two times and counting."

I chuckled and opened my own menu, deciding to order the calamari as our appetizer since Emara was obsessed with the food. She began to talk about ideas she already had for her wedding and the more she talked about it, the sooner I wanted that day to come.

All I could think about was her in her wedding dress, walking down the isle with her father — who was also very terrifying, especially since he's been in the military for over twenty years. I already wanted our honeymoon to be in Greece but I didn't want any final decisions until she approved.

But, goddamn, I wished I proposed sooner.

I bit my lip, watching her plump ones move every time she spoke, and the dimple that appeared in her right cheek every time she smiled up at me. Right when I opened my mouth to finally answer the questions she never gave me the chance to answer, a familiar voice greeted Emara.

"Reagan?" Emara questioned with a confused smile.

"Hey, Emara," Reagan said with a large smile — it almost looked forced. "I can see you're busy with your boyfriend so I don't want to disturb you, just thought I should say hello."