Part 31

Zak woke up to slanted rays of sunlight streaming in through the window. Turning over sleepily, he reached out his arms in search of Darryl, but the bed was empty. Yawning, he stood up and pulled on a pair of shorts, then wandered from room to room, looking for him.

Darryl was in the kitchen, frying eggs in a pan. He was wearing an apron and nothing else, humming to himself as he added random ingredients out of the cupboards. Turning to get some tomatoes out of the pantry, he spotted Zak leaning against the door frame. "Good morning, muffin," he grinned, slicing them in half and putting them under the grill.

"Do I get a kiss from the chef?"

Darryl rolled his eyes, pulling Zak to the bench and giving him a chopping board. "If you dice me some onions." Kissing his cheek, he returned to his pan. A minute later, he felt a tap on his shoulder. Zak was holding a board full of chopped onion, tears streaming down his face.

Darryl plonked them in with the egg, laughing. "Aww, is it stinging your eyes?" He hugged Zak, shaking his head.

"Shut up, idot," Zak mumbled, his hands sneaking down below Darryl's back.

"Hey! I'm trying to cook, don't distract me," Darryl grumbled, pulling away. He pulled the tomatoes out of the grill and put them on a plate, sliding two spinach omelettes on as well.

"That's not fair," Zak giggled, "you're distracting me by having your arse out."

"Shhh, I forgot where we threw my clothes last night." Darryl blushed, setting down the steaming plates. "Now eat your breakfast and stop complaining."

"I'm definitely not complaining, it's a nice view."

"Just eat your breakfast, muffin."

They ate in companionable silence, enjoying their omelettes. When Zak finished, he looked at Darryl with wide eyes. "What did you even put in that?!"

"Well... I kind of just chucked in random stuff." Darryl smiled sheepishly, looking at his hands.

Zak grinned, ruffling his hair as he stood up to wash the dishes. "I'm just glad I've got myself a man who can cook. That was the best omelette I've ever had."

Darryl was practically glowing, ecstatic. He slid his arms around Zak from behind, kissing his neck roughly.

Draining the water, Zak spun around, scowling jokingly. "If you've given me a hickey I'm going to kill you."

Darryl sucked on Zak's neck as hard as he could, then stepped back, smirking. "Too late," he announced, walking away.

Zak chased him, pinning his arms behind his back. He did the same thing to Darryl's neck, then pulled them to a mirror. "Look what you did!" He pointed to their necks, each with a dark red blotch where the blood had swelled to the surface.

"I DID?! You're just as much to blame!"

"Sure..." Zak walked off into the bedroom, getting dressed. Darryl followed, taking off the apron and pulling on fresh clothes. He looked at Zak, cringing at the bruise forming in the hollow of his neck.

"I'm sorry, I didn't think it would be that... dark," Darryl apologised awkwardly, putting his hand on Zak's neck.

"It's fine," Zak sighed, leaning in to kiss him, "at least we match."

Darryl slipped his hands around Zak's waist, pulling him close and exploring his jaw hungrily with his mouth. Zak wrapped his arms around his neck, biting his ear playfully. He reluctantly pulled away, taking hold of Darryl's hand. "We really need to stop getting distracted. Let's go back to the hotel, we need to find the others and apologise."