Chapter 25 - Two Steps Behind

This new wolf posed a threat to all of us, I had to see Keith, I was unsure if I would get any information out of him, I didn't even think he knew anything about it but the wolf was tied to the hunters and he was a good place to start.

I could hear Holden following me, I just prayed Keith didn't say anything to jeopardise our plan, I've tried so hard to keep it from Holden. I wasn't stopped by the guards when I got to the cellar, I followed the steps down and headed to his cell. The guard unlocked his door and stepped aside, inside I saw Keith huddle in the corner on his mattress, knees pulled to his chest, he looked up at the sound of the door opening, his face starting to bruise, with dry blood covering it. I could see he was going to say something witty due to the amusement in his eyes but that went away when Holden stepped around me and into the room.

"Baby Alpha, what do I owe the pleasure?" he mocks, lifting his head to rest it against the wall behind him,

"We were caught off guard today, by something we weren't expecting we were hoping you had some information about it" I spoke getting his eyes to flick to me,

"I'll tell you what, I'll answer all the questions you want, for some food" he shuffled forward and sat at the bed of his bed, rest his elbows on his knees,

"You haven't been fed today?" he was supposed to be fed twice a day, I know he's a prisoner but we had to keep him healthy.

"They thought it might help me loosen my tongue" he click his tongue to further his point, almost a threat to spill our secret, but that meant ruining any chance at escape and he knew that so avert his eyes from mine.

"Can you get him something to eat?" I turn to Holden, he seems shocked, I could feel it, he didn't want to leave me here,

"And leave you alone with the hunter I don't think so" he said crossing his arms over his chest,

"Holden, I don't trust the others to not tamper with it, he needs to eat, we're not monsters" I said,

"Debatable" Keith piped up, I snapped my head back to him and narrowed my gaze,

"Care to repeat that?" I challenged, he held his hands up in surrender but a sly smile stayed on his face,

"I'm a big girl Holden, I can handle myself, besides he was merely an underling anyway not a real player" I smirked back as his face darkened, his brows furrowing.

"Ok, just don't start until I get back" he said before walking out, I listened as he left and made sure he was out of the cellar doors before I continued with Keith.

"Two visits in one day, what has startled the great Sapphire Shadows pack?" I walked over to the metal table and leant against it, facing Keith.

"We were visited by a wolf today" I spoke

"A wolf? that seems more like your territory not mine" he interrupted,

"This was no ordinary wolf, he was stronger, bigger, almost feral, but not a rogue, he knew who I was. He wanted to attack Alpha Knight, he charged for him. He knew something only one other person knew, a hunter when Amber and I were being held. Are you guys working with wolves?" I ask,

"You think we would stoop ourselves so low as to work with werewolves? we want to eradicate you, why would we work with one of you?" I could hear the hate, the venom that flowed with his words, his heart beat remained steady, if not escalating due to anger at the insinuation but he wasn't lying.

Keith looked at me with hate, with an eagerness to beat me, the feeling wasn't mutual, I didn't want this war, I believed Hunters to be ignorant people who aren't properly educated about what we are, but I could see that Keith only saw us as monsters.