t w e n t y t h r e e

16 MAY 2034

16 MAY 2034

◣ C A M E R A  1

here lies park jimin, the brightest star, the epitaph read.

the paintbrush was buried under the ground, just below the maple tree in taehyung's backyard. the same place where they spent most of their time, snuggled against the bark of the tree feeling the honey-colored warmth of the sun on their skin. the place where all arguments would come to an abrupt end as one would get pushed against the tree as they lip locked.

jimin always wanted to be an astronaut, and taehyung would always laugh at how ironic the whole idea seemed. but nevertheless, he would always call him the brightest star, hence the inscription.

the week following jimin's death was hectic, to say the least. namjoon brought upon the idea that all six of them should spend their days and nights in one home and so namjoon's house was chosen and it was more spacious and was more efficient to use than the others'.

from then on, four doors remained closed and one opened during the day and remained shut during the night.

the relationship between taehyung and yoongi had gone downhill since jimin's passing but it was very obvious that they hated each other's guts. even though they spent almost every hour together, no words were exchanged between the two.

namjoon had his books sprawled all over the coffee table, his glasses propped up on the tip of his nose, when jeongguk walked in, groggily scratching his head as he yawned.

"what are you doing up so late, hyung?"

namjoon jumped as he made a quick effort to hide the contents of the rather disturbing case he was studying from jeongguk's view. but jeongguk's keen eyes noticed.

"why are you studying about clones? they're the ones who killed jimin hyung." jeongguk ended, his voice dropping to a whisper and namjoon's heart softened.

"i'm studying it so i can get some information about them, like—their weaknesses or something. plus—" he stalled as he gestured jeongguk to come sit next to him, who accepted the offer promptly. "jimin's in a better place now."

namjoon leaned forward and pulled the curtains apart slightly so that the pair could get a perfect view of the night sky.

"you see that star?" he said, his finger raised and pointed in the direction of it. the brightest star among the other contents of the cosmos; "that's him."

and in the dark, his eyes set on the star, solace inked into his heart, jeongguk smiled.