Chapter 1: Confessions

The tree Sajin Hisato was standing under had a long history. Standing as tall as the school it was built behind, it was famous for children to do their confessions at this tree.

Encouraging children to continue the trend there was a red ribbon tied to one of the branches of the tree.

It is said that it was the ribbon of the first girl who was confessed to at the school over ten years ago. It became so sacred that children had even made a custom for how the confession needs to be done.

Firstly, the confession needs to be done after school between six o'clock and seven thirty. A minute early or even a second will crush your chances in half.

Secondly, the person to confess needs to be the first one to arrive. The one who is being confessed to needs to be the second person to arrive.

Thirdly, no one else should arrive at the time of the confession. This symbolizes the privacy and success of the relationship.

Lastly, the person doing the confession needs to pray on the ribbon for guidance and ensuring that being rejected doesn't happen.

Failing to complete any one of these would result in an immediate rejection.

Sajin thought that the story was complete bogus and was wondering to himself who exactly came up with this idea. All of it seemed like unnecessary steps to help people with anxiety to try and prepare themselves for trying to do a confession to the one they love. Sajin did not believe in superstition so when he had heard it for the first time he ignored it, not caring of its relevance.

"It seems she would think so too, huh..." He muttered as looked at the ribbon attached to the tree.

The one he was referring to was the girl that had called him here. It seemed like she had also agreed with his point of view as she was currently nowhere to be seen.

The sun had finally reached its limit and the the wind was starting to blow a cool air as the sky was changing colours from light blue to different reds and oranges. It gave Sajin the feeling of Autumn, although it had been the start of Summer.

This had meant that it was getting really late. She must have been taking her time.

Sajin was still dressed in his proper school uniform, which involved a black blazer, black pants and white shoes.

He was above average when it had comes to height, especially since he was still sixteen years old. His hair was black and curly but because of school rules he kept it short and neat. He could've dyed it silver but he kept it in check because she told him to. His reason for not being a delinquent is because of her.

"Her" referred to girl he was currently waiting for: Hanako Suzumiya.

She was the one that had told him to meet her at the "Confession Tree" on Friday. Sajin agreed and had been currently waiting for her to her to arrive.

The sky was starting to move from an orange hue to a dark blue as it was welcoming the night sky. Sajin looked at the time on his smartphone.

18:34.

She was really late.

Sajin didn't mind waiting because of the fact that he didn't have any plans for the night, but it had worried him because Hanako wasn't the type to arrive late.

He let a long sigh escape his mouth as he looked up at the sky. The wind was getting a little chilly but not enough for him to want to wear a jersey. Although he didn't like the cold.

"...Ah!" A sound escaped his mouth.

That's when he saw it.

Standing atop on the edge of the roof was a figure of a person. Sajin squinted his eyes to make out the figure.

Brown hair. Sailor uniform. From her face Sajin could immediately tell -

"Hanako!" He yelled. "What are you doing?"

"Sajin-san! I'm glad you came!" She smiled and waved as she looked down at him.

Sajin pinched his nose in irritation. She always did things like this.

"Wait there! I'll come get you!" He said as he started running towards the stairs from entrance.
"I'll be waiting!" She yelled and then turned her back to stand closer inwards to the roof.

The school building is three stories high. The design of the school is still from the 20th century but the new paint job it had had recently have it a fresh look. The stairs had been painted yellow and red instead of its usual grey. The new Headmaster of Nexus High wanted to give the school a "fun" atmosphere.

Sajin didn't know why, but he was running up the stairs. His heart was beating at an unbearable pace causing him to sprint at full speed. His legs giving him the feeling that he was flying up the stairs.

In under five minutes he was already on the roof.

"Hanako!" Sajin yelled as he pushed the door open.

"S-Sajin-san?" Hanako gave a confused look as she stared at Sajin. She was walking on the edge of the roof with her hands spread out as if she was using it to balance herself.

It took a few moments before Sajin caught his breath and the looked at Hanako. She was looking at him expectantly.

"... You're an idiot, you know that?" Sajin finally said then pinched the bridge of his nose. This only emphasized the insult he casually threw at her.

"It-it's n-not nice to say that!" She yelled at him while tears were forming at her eyes.

"I'm sorry that you're an idiot okay?" He said an then he scratched his head while smiling.

"Meanie!" She yelled at him while pouting. She folded her hands and then turned away from him.

"I was joking! I swear!" Sajin raised his hands in surrender. Hanako turned around to look at him and when she saw his sad attempt at showing how bad he felt she started laughing.

Sajin caught on and started laughing with her.

They both laughed at each other for a while until Hanako suddenly stopped. She gazed at Sajin making sure that she could see his face.

Sajin saw her and his heart suddenly dropped to his feet. The smile that she was making to him was all too familiar. He use to be the one to use it.

"Hanako..." He said in a serious voice as he approached. "What are you planning?" His voice was starting to sound more serious than he had intended. He inwardly cursed himself for coming off as threatening.

"I-It's always been fun talking to you. T-That's why I left you this." She threw something at his feet.

Sajin's eyes widened as he saw what it was.

It was an envelope with a letter inside.

"... You're not doing this." He said as he moved closer towards her. She was almost within grasp.

"I-I love you." She said then closed her eyes. The entire world she had been perceiving up to now was being enveloped in darkness. For some odd reason that darkness had always felt safer for her. She couldn't understand why but now she wouldn't find out.

She had decided that she was going to do this. She wasn't going to back out now.

After taking a deep breath she jumped backwards and the ground beneath her was gone.

As she fell to the ground she was smiling. At least she told him how she felt. That conversation was exactly how she saw it going and it exactly what she wanted.

Just as her mind was about to drift away -

"I love you too, idiot!"

- She heard Sajin call out to her. When she opened her eyes she saw that Sajin had also jumped after her. His eyes were full of emotion and his hands were reaching down towards her. This was the first time someone had done anything for her without thinking of themselves.

That's when the thought came to her.

Is this... What true love feels like?