Chapter 3: Black Hearts Perception

"You know what death smells like?"

Hanako looked Sajin as she posed the question. They were both sitting on a park bench enjoying lunch. Sajin was the one that had made them lunch as Hanako had no cooking skills at all. The last time she cooked something for Sajin he had been in and out of the toilet for three days. Ever since he made all their lunches.

"We're eating and you're topic of conversation is death? Not only are you an idiot but I see your sadistic as well." Sajin said while he closed his eyes and shoved a piece of tender meat into his mouth.

"I-I'm not s-sadistic, Sajin-kun!" She yelled at him as her face suddenly flushed.

"So you will accept the fact that I called you an idiot, I see." He gave a smug smile as he glanced at her from the corner of his eye.

As expected, she crossed her arms and looked in the opposite direction. "Meanie!" She said then pouted.

Sajin gave a bright smile at her because she acted as he had expected her too. He liked the fact that she was so easy to read.

"So... You're asking what death smells like, huh?" He said as he pondered over the question. Her ears perked as she heard that he was interested in the topic.

"So you're gonna tell me what you think about it?" Her eyes were glowing as she grew excited and moved closer to him.

"Don't push your luck." He said as he chopped her on the head.

"Ow!" She scratched her head as she moved back again.

"If I had say... I guess death would smell like a corpse I guess..." He said.

"..."

"... What?"

"... You're actually the real sadistic one aren't you?"

Bam!

"Ow!" She grabbed her head after receiving a chop again. "Why did you hit me?!"

"S-shut up, idiot!" He said as a vein appeared on his forehead.
"Just tell me what's the answer already..." He muttered but Hanako had still heard him.

She gave a smug look and leaned closer until her face was in front of his. When he realised his face immediately burst into a red colour. She leaned closer to his ear and whispered the answer to him.

"Death smells like roses."

• • •

Sajin suddenly shot straight up from the bed he was laying on.

"Ah..." He said as the light from the room temporarily blinded him.

I was dreaming...

He may have been dreaming but he was sure that that had been a memory from back when they had first hung out. He smiled at the thought of her not changing since then.

After blinking a few times he could clearly see the room that he was in. He was in a hospital room.

All the walls were the same drab white colour walls it always was. It didn't bring a sense of hope but Sajin could feel a sense of duty and formality coming from the cold room.