Ch. 20 Cami

Cami came by the compound to inform everyone that Lucien had bitten her. Klaus and Freya were working on it, but Cami didn't have much time. She was staring off into space as she sat on the couch.

Lilly had snuck into the room and watched her in concern. "Mommy," she said.

Rory turned, quickly moving towards the four year old. "I thought I told you to stay in your room," she said.

"I got bored. Is Aunt Cami okay?" Lilly asked.

Rory glanced towards the vampire. "She's just sick, baby," Rory told her. "Right, Cami?" The blonde didn't react, however. "Cami?" Rory walked over to her friend, her daughter trailing after her. "Cami?" The blonde looked up. "Hey, I was talking to you."

Rory and Lilly sat down across from her, Lilly on her mother's lap. "Are you okay?" Lilly asked.

Cami tried to hide how scared she was as she looked at the little girl. "I'm fine, sweetie," she lied.

She smiled when she noticed the identical braids in both the mother and daughter's hair. "Your hair," she said.

Rory smiled, reaching up to touch the braid. "Yeah, I needed something to do on house arrest," she said.

Klaus and Freya walked over. "Why don't you go downstairs and find your Uncle Elijah?" Klaus asked the four year old. He hated having her in there.

Lilly looked at the dying vampire, clearly worried. Rory sighed as she lifted her daughter off her lap. "Go on," she said.

Lilly frowned. She walked over to the blonde, wrapping her small arms around her. Tears filled Cami's eyes as she hugged Lilly tightly, knowing this would probably be the last time she saw the four year old. Klaus and Rory exchanged a look, hating this.

Lilly released Cami and the blonde wiped her eyes, smiling at the little girl. "Listen to your dad," Cami told her. Lilly pouted, but left the room.

Klaus sat down by Cami once his daughter was gone. "Hold still. This is going to burn," he told her. He placed a towel against the bite on Cami's arm.

The woman hissed in pain. "Ow. Ow, what is that?" Cami asked.

"It's a healing salve. Motherwort, white willow bark. The recipe is over a thousand years old," Freya explained.

"So the good stuff, huh?" Cami asked.

"It will ease the pain, dull the symptoms, but it won't stop the infection," Freya told her.

"So I'm screwed," Cami said.

"We're gonna do everything that we can, Cami," Rory told her.

"To that end, a little assistance," Elijah said, walking into the room with Vincent Griffith.

"Cami, I'm so sorry," the warlock said.

"You should be. This is your fault," Klaus said, standing up. He moved towards the other man. "It was you who turned Lucien into a beast."

Rory used supernatural speed to run in front of him. "Klaus, stop. It's not his fault," Cami said.

Klaus looked at the hybrid blocking his path. "She's right. We all need to work together to fix this. Don't do this right now," she said.

He looked at her for another moment, before nodding. "I think I know how to fix this. Lucien has always been obsessed with me. He made himself like me. And my bite can be cured by my blood," Klaus told everyone.

"Do you really think his blood can save her?" Rory asked.

"It makes sense, Lucien would want that power," Elijah said.