Ch. 1 Sarah Nelson

Rory made her way through the dark living room of her newest house, wanting to reach her phone before it woke both her daughters. The call was making her nervous. Mary and Hayley would never call this late. And if they did then it meant something was wrong. It meant she had been found. 

She swore as she stubbed her toe in the dark. "Mom?" She spun around to face her tired seven year old who was holding out her phone to her. "Why am I not allowed to say that if you do?" Lilly asked. 

Rory frowned and took her phone. "Go back to your room, but get your sister up if I yell, okay?" she asked. Lilly nodded and stumbled off in the direction of the bedroom she shared with Hope. 

Rory looked at the phone and sighed. She answered the call. "Hey, Care, what's up?" 

|

Hope was peacefully sleeping when Rory went to her room. She smiled and walked over to Lilly's bed. The seven year old looked up at her expectantly. "Do we have to leave again?" she asked. 

Rory looked down at her daughter, frowning. She hated how much she had put her daughter through in the little girl's short life. "Yeah, babe, we do," she said. She pulled Lilly's blankets back. "Scoot."

Lilly moved and let her mother crawl into the bed next to her. They were a little squished, but neither cared. "You know I don't want to do this any more than you do, right?" the hybrid asked.

Lilly nodded. "We have to stay safe, I know," she said. 

Rory smiled at her daughter's mocking tone. "Yeah, but this time we're going back to Mystic Falls," she said.

"With Aunt Caroline?" Lilly asked.

Rory nodded. "Yeah. We're gonna stay with her and Uncle Stefan for a while," she said.

"What about Uncle Damon?" Lilly asked.

"He's missing, I'm gonna help them find him," she told her. Rory frowned. Caroline had explained to her how something had messed with Damon and his friend Enzo's head. They had been on a murder spree for a while and no one could find them. Caroline wanted her help.

"Can you do me a favor?" Rory asked.

"What?" Lilly wondered.

"If you see Uncle Damon, find me or anyone else you trust, okay?" Rory asked.

"But I thought we could trust him," Lilly said.

"He's..." Rory searched for a good word. "He's sick. Just try your best to find someone if he shows up, okay?" she asked.

Lilly nodded. "Okay. We'll start packing tomorrow," Rory told her. She kissed Lilly on the head, before standing up. She went back to her room, frowning. She had had three peaceful years and she was pretty sure they had just came to an end. 

|

"You're here!" Caroline exclaimed as she ran to hug her sister and nieces. Rory had just arrived at the Salvatore house, her new residence.

Her and the girls hugged Caroline before all of them headed inside. Rory stopped for a moment, looking around. "You okay?" Caroline asked.

Rory nodded. "Yeah, just, I haven't been in this house in years. It just feels strange," she admitted.

Caroline smiled. "Well, your room is still the same. I even found some of your old clothes here," she said.

Rory scoffed. "Yeah, stuff I haven't worn in five years," she said.

They all headed to their rooms. Hope and Lilly were in the rooms next door to their mother. Rory's room was across from Damon's, being the same one she had stayed in while living there all those years ago.