Ch. 3 Tyler

Rory was making breakfast for herself, Hope, Lilly, Alaric and the twins. She had told Alaric to give the nanny a day off and let her take the kids. He had decided to take the day off as well, and was having a tea party with the kids while Rory got some food fixed.

Her phone began to ring and she picked it up. She frowned as she saw that it was Matt calling. While they had been friends forever, they didn't talk much unless they had big news. She answered it. "Hey, Matt, something wrong?" she asked, placing the phone against her shoulder. She kept on fixing breakfast.

"I- I have some news and I don't know how you're gonna take it," he said.

He sounded like he was really serious, but he had tricked her before. "Well, everyone I care about is either in a coffin, dungeon or has checked in during the last twenty four hours. Not like anyone died," she said, laughing.

Matt was silent for a moment. "Not- not everyone, Ror," he said.

Rory frowned. "Matt, just tell me," she said.

"He's dead. Damon killed Tyler," Matt said.

The bowl of eggs in Rory's hand fell to the floor, shattering. Alaric and the kids were in the doorway in seconds, looking at her in surprise. Matt was saying something, but she had stopped listening. "Rory," Alaric said, seeing the look on her face.

Rory snapped out of her shock, finally noticing the mess she made. "Girls, go upstairs. There's glass, you'll cut yourselves," she told them.

"Mom," Lilly said, knowing something was wrong.

"Just go upstairs, Lilly. Watch the three of them," Rory told her.

Lilly frowned, but walked off with the three other kids.

Alaric was still staring at the hybrid. "Are you okay?" he asked.

Rory shook her head, shrugging. "I don't know, but I can't- I can't deal with this right now," she said. She held the phone out to him. "It's Matt. He had some news. I'll clean this up," she said, walking away.

She went into the hallway where she was out of his view and pressed her back to the wall, sighing. She had hated Tyler for everything he did for so long, but a part of her had always hoped. She had hoped that maybe there was a chance at some point he could have a good relationship with Lilly. That was over now.

|

Rory sat down on her old bed, a pen and notebook in her hand. She let out a sigh as she started to write.

Dear Elena,

Don't even start. I swore I wasn't gonna do this, yet here I am. I don't really know what to say. I'm sure that someone else will explain what happened to you and that they will tell you why I'm back in town. So I choose not to explain.

I don't really know what exactly I'm supposed to be feeling right now. I don't what I'm actually feeling either.

I'm angry. He hurt me, risked hurting Lilly and tried to hurt Hope. He died and took Lilly's chance of ever potentially knowing her father.

At the same time, I'm sad. Not because I ever really wanted Tyler back in my life. I'm sad because the Tyler I loved at one point, the same one who gave me my daughter, is now officially dead. I'm sad that Lilly will never have a chance to meet that person.

I'm having to remind myself that I shouldn't be angry with Damon for this. This wasn't him, Elena, not really. Sybil killed Tyler. Whatever she did to Damon, erased the good we both always knew was in him. And while I may have threatened Tyler's life repeatedly- for good reason- she isn't gonna get away with that.