Faded

(Yes, another Alan Walker songfic sue me

Evo Grian angsty fic *claps* because why not? Also added some Grumbo bonding.

Also Mumbo being a caring Cinnamon Roll for his Sinnamon Roll takes the cake I can't

These Alan Walker songfics turn out so bittersweet oop—)

Grian and Mumbo sat at the top of Grian's base, enjoying the sunset. Mumbo had installed his shaders and they were now appreciating Mumbo's sphere from build height.

Mumbo glanced over at this friend. Grian was fairly new to this server. He'd joined Hermitcraft recently, but before that he'd been a part of a whole other world.

Evo.

Grian never got into how he left Evo, so Mumbo never pried about it. The only thing he knew about Grian's past life was that he was taken away from Evo by people who called themselves Watchers.

Grian had dark purple eyes and differently shaped pupils, probably a sign of the Watchers. Mumbo didn't know what that meant, but he never asked.

Tonight seemed different, though. Grian seemed more toned down than normal—he'd hadn't been his normal self recently, keeping more time to himself in his 1.13 base.

"Grian...are you okay?" Mumbo asked tentatively.

Grian snapped out of a haze and looked over to the mustached man. "Yeah...why do you ask?"

"You seem a bit sad. Is something wrong?"

Grian paused, thinking about how to respond. His reply surprised both of them.

"It's Evo."

Mumbo visibly tensed, nervous for what Grian would say. For all he knew, this was the first time he'd opened up to someone.

"I've been thinking about it for a while. I just...I guess I miss it. A lot. After the Watchers took me, I lost all contact from that world. I wonder daily where they are now, how they're doing."

After Mumbo didn't say anything for a moment, he added, "I'm sorry—I just needed to confide in someone—I—"

"No, no, it's okay," Mumbo said, flustered himself. "It's nice that you trust me about this."

Grian looked away, suddenly bashful. "Why wouldn't I? You were my first friend when I arrived at Hermitcraft. I trust you, Mumbo."

Then the builder looked away. "Sometimes...I feel like my memories of them are...fading. Like every day, I'm forgetting them a bit more.

"I don't know. I feel...lost, I guess? Like I'm struggling to find who I am."

Mumbo didn't know what to say after this confession. This was...really deep, and he didn't want to offend Grian.

Grian must have mistaken his silence for judgment. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have told you about this."

"No, no, no," Mumbo said, stuttering all over himself. "Sorry, I just—I didn't—I—wait—no, what I wanted to say was...if you want, I could...I could...help you?"

Grian was surprised by his answer. "You think...you think I haven't been trying to reach them? That I've been staying put, doing nothing?"

"No, no, that's not it at all. I just...maybe, if you came clean with the other Hermits, maybe they could help you, too. X could, I dunno, use his commands to fix it."

"Listen, I appreciate the offer, but this is something I want to solve myself. Like, I'd feel like I didn't do anything, I'd be putting the work on someone else's shoulders."

"If that's what you want, sure. I understand. That's not going to stop me from helping you. We—you, mostly—will figure out a way to do it. I'd work on a Redstone contraption that does the trick if I have to. But...you haven't been yourself lately. If it makes you happy, I'd gladly do it."

Now it was Grian's turn to be silent. Mumbo held his breath, nervous to see what the builder would say.

"Thank you, Mumbo."

Simple, but it meant the world to both of them.

And together, they watched the sunset.