Fireplace || CtC 4

(Word count: 435

I finally did Countdown to Christmas by ! I now live for ConVex fluff)

"I'm cold."

Scar shivered as he went back inside ConCorp headquarters. He'd just finished building up the new Cherry factory, but it was freezing outside. Had it been worth it? Probably not. Should he had brought a jacket? Obviously. Should he have kept on going even in the cold? No...

Cub was inside, sitting by a fireplace. It was made of a mixture of stones. The fire was lit on Netherrack, burning forever, but contained in that single block. "About time you showed up. I'm cold just sitting here."

"S-shut up." Scar's teeth chattered.

Cub got up and pulled the builder over to the fireplace. "Your hands are cold. Here," he said, taking Scar's hands in his. "Why don't you take a break from building?"

"I c-can't," Scar said, still shivering. "The sooner I get my diamonds back, the better."

"You and your diamonds." Cub laughed a little.

"Oh, shut up. I've never been without them."

"Learn to live poor."

"You're no fun." Scar scooted closer to Cub to share the warmth.

They sat there together in silence for a few nice moments. Then Cub broke it. "I'm bored."

Scar groaned. "Stop interrupting my train of thought!"

"You've been thinking too much lately. I said, take a break."

Cub got up from his sitting spot and walked over to one of the tall bookshelves across the room. Climbing a ladder, he pulled a book out from its place in the shelf.

Strolling back over to Scar, Cub held out the book. "An early Christmas gift."

Scar took the book and read the title. "The Wizard of Oz?"

"You love the movie, right? Thought I might as well get you the book, too." Cub tapped the cover. "Limited-time leather-bound cover. Special illustrations. Collector's edition."

Scar flipped through the pages tenderly. Cub's face fell a bit. "Do you not like it?"

"Oh, what? N-no!" Scar stammered. "Just...wow. Thank you. I-I don't know what to say." He didn't know if he was stammering from the cold or Cub.

Cub sat back down next to Scar by the fireplace, and they both held the book in their hands. Scar shifted his hand so his left hand touched Cub's right.

Cub began to read the first paragraph out loud in front of the roaring fire, sharing the warmth with Scar. They sat together, Scar listening to Cub, until both fell asleep in front of the ever-burning fireplace.

"Dorothy lived in the midst of the great Kansas prairies, with Uncle Henry, who was a farmer, and Aunt Em, who was the farmer's wife..."