03 Salem

Apparently, I needed my ID for my requirements in college. I've been using my 11th grade school ID for two days to get pass through the gate. Miyerkules na at kasama ko ng pumasok si Amara magmula noong Lunes. It was the busiest week of our senior life. Ang dami pa naming dapat kumpletuhin para sa mga final projects and requirements. Kapag hindi namin natapos 'to this week, pahihirapan nanaman kami sa clearance. Ayaw naming maghabol ng mga teachers dahil patapos na ang klase. Tiyak na karamihan sa kanila ay bigla nalang mawawala.

I read the invitation they gave us for the graduation. Sa huling pahina, nandoon ang enrolment schedule ng mga college freshmen. The requirements for the entrance exam were also indicated. Dito lang rin naman kami tutuloy ng college ni Amara. Verona was the biggest university in our place.

Kanina pa ako nag-iisip kung paano ko makukuha ang ID ko kay Caius Gomez. Matagal pa naman ang entrance exam pero kailangan ko nang makuha ang ID ko habang may pasok pa. I was sure that I'd never see him again after this school year. Wala rin akong balak na hanapin s'ya this summer vacation just for my ID.

I was purposely walking around the SHS buildings hoping that I'd bump into him. Nakailang ikot na ako pero hindi ko pa rin s'ya nakikita. Kung tutuusin, lahat ng mga estudyante ay labas-pasok lang sa mga classrooms nila dahil wala masyadong teachers ang umaattend ng klase. I bet Caius was cutting classes again.

There would be a big chance to see him at the bus stop outside the school. Pero nandito na si Amara. I didn't need to commute anymore. I was planning on sending her home first so I could just ride the bus. Susubukan kong hanapin si Caius sa bus stop.

The only problem was, I didn't know what to tell Amara. I wasn't in the mood to tell her everything that happened. Ayoko sa lahat ang nagku-kwento. She'd ask me how we first met and then the questions would be unstoppable. Mostly, I didn't want her to think something that was inappropriate. I just knew how her mind works.

Isa pa, she has been so glum lately. Hindi pa s'ya nakakatulog ng maayos. I wanted her to rest. I didn't want to drag her everywhere looking for Caius. I'd handle the stress alone.

"Eat your food." I nudged her. She's been like this for the past few days. His dad had to continue working. May dalawang maliliit na kapatid pa s'ya. They needed to hire someone to look after the kids. Buti nalang ay maagang umuuwi si mom para makatulong sa kabilang bahay. Amara has been sleeping in my room every night. It would probably take few more days for her get back on her feet.

"Wala akong gana."

"Amara." I called her with my warning tone. I learned using that tone when she started declining food.

"Can I go home?" tanong n'ya sa akin. I sighed.

"I'll drive you." Tumayo na ako. I couldn't let her go home alone. Magco-commute nalang ako pabalik sa school kapag naiuwi ko na s'ya.

"No. I'd like to be alone, too."

Oh. I gave her the key to my house because I knew she'd go straight to my room.

"Don't harm yourself, Amara." I hope she wasn't that depressed to put herself in danger.

"I won't. Cancer will fuck my life in the future." she laughed even though there wasn't any trace of humor in her face.

Pinanood ko s'yang lumabas sa cafeteria. She doesn't even want me to walk her in the parking lot. Napabuntong-hininga ako habang nakatingin sa pagkain na hindi ko pa rin gaanong nababawasan.

Umulit-ulit sa utak ko ang sinabi n'ya bago umalis. She was waiting to be in her death bed. She was never this gloomy before. Alam kong iniisip n'ya ang mangyayari sa hinaharap.