09 Salem

Nanatili akong nakaupo habang ang lahat ay hindi magkanda-ugaga sa kakakuha ng litrato kasama ang mga kaibigan nila. The program already started and we just finished eating our dinner. I think it was halfway done. I was sharing the table with Amara, Herra and her friends. Talagang nasama-sama pa kaming tatlo na lumabag sa theme.

I took a sip of the drink that Amara got me. I was bored as expected. The lights were dim this time. May isang babae at lalaki na kumakanta sa stage for like a prod number. The dance would be open after they perform.

I plan on ditching the real party and just be done for the night. Pero tuwing naaalala ko ang game ni Amara, I get frustrated. I couldn't believe I agreed to this.

Kung uuwi na ako, I'd have to do the consequence. Lahat pa naman ng gustong manligaw sa akin ay kay Amara muna dumadaan para magpaalam dahil natatakot sila sa akin. I would be really doomed.

The only chance I could get was at least dance with someone and be kissed if I would be lucky. I could never initiate a kiss. Pero hindi ko alam kung may magtatangka na humalik sa akin.

I watched as Amara interacted with my classmates. She wanted me to come with her for pictures but I refused. I've had enough of flashes. Kulang nalang basagin ko na ang mga camera na nakikita ko. Herra and her friends were out of my sight too.

The couple ended their stage beautifully. When the host went on the stage with huge smile, the crowd cheered loudly.

"Wow, everyone seems excited about the dance floor!" he exclaimed with fake enthusiasm.

Ayon nanaman ang malakas na sigawan ng mga tao. Ilang segundo lang ay bumalik na sila Amara sa table namin para makinig. She opened her clutch bag and retrieved a lipstick from it. She applied some on her lips and looked at me.

"Your lips are fine." she said even if I didn't ask her. The make-up artist told me it was smudge-free. Kahit kumain ako at uminom ay hindi madaling matatanggal. "By the way, have you talked to Caius? He's here."

"No." simpleng sagot ko, hindi na nagulat pa noong malaman kong napansin n'ya rin pala si Caius.

"Hindi mo talaga s'ya boyfriend? O manliligaw?" tanong n'ya habang nakatitig sa akin. I knew she was trying to read me.

Nandito nanaman kami sa usapan na 'to. S'ya pa ang nagsabi kanina na hindi ako nagsisinungaling pero hindi naman n'ya ako pinapaniwalaan.

"Amara, I al---"

"Fine. I mean, he can't get his eyes off of you even if he has a date. He seem to like you but why the hell is he with Hannah?" I looked Amara in the eyes so she'd shut up. She shrugged her shoulders off and rolled her eyes at me. "Guys like him are trash." dagdag pa n'ya.

"Pero bago ang lahat, let me announce the winners for tonight! Starting with the ladies. For the best dressed..."

Bumalik ang pansin namin sa stage.

Winners? I didn't know there was such thing in the ball.

"Girls, I heard we're disqualified because we broke the dress code." sabi ni Herra. The four of them laughed. It wasn't funny to me. It was embarrassing.

Of course, how could they include us in the list of awardees if we didn't follow the one and only rule? Not that I wanted to receive a sash or whatever. Going up the stage would break the last string of patience in me. Everything that I hated were here. Crowd, attention, noise and a stupid game.

"Sayang nga, eh. I bet y'all are supposed to be nominated on the major award which is the face of the night." Eden said as she scanned the three of us. I bet not. There were a lot of pretty girls tonight.