1979.

Long teaching robes were worn but layers had been shed. The baking day was actually cold but that was a memo McGonagall was yet to hear. Her hat was on one side as she worked over the parchment that was poorly written by a first-year. Her hair had been up in a bun as she wrote, and for the hour of marking that she had done, it didn't seem to come to anything. More papers had to be marked.

"Minerva." A soft knock came to the door and she shot her eyes up. The door to McGonagall's office was forced open as her beady eyes were left to take in the figure that took up the door frame. The grave look in his eyes told her of the severity of the situation. With the rise of a dark wizard named Voldemort that look was never good to see.

"Albus?" Her hand rested on the small bump that was barely forming below as she seemed to grow in the passing days. Her belly had begun looking swollen and sore to the eye. Babies weren't something that she had ever planned on but it was something Minerva was always desperate for. Working at Hogwarts didn't accommodate a child but she was close to home and her husband was there. It wouldn't be too hard for the pair of them, surely.

"I am so sorry Minerva. I have just been contacted by a member of the Ministry. They weren't supposed to let you know for another day just to be safe but I am unable to keep this from you." Minerva was on the edge of her seat as she waited on the news. Millions of things flew through her mind as she waited for a response.

"Just tell me, Albus." Soothing circles were made on her stomach as she spoke harshly to him but there was a hesitation before he spoke, a hand was placed atop her hand and he stood with misery in his features.

"This reminds me of the time you discovered that Mr McGregor was married. I am sorry Minerva but you see your husband was working today and due to an unfortunate accident, he has moved on." Eyes stricken with pure grief met him and slowly tears fell, thin hands then lifted and wiped the trail of tears away before they began to shake and they rested on her stomach. Her baby was well buried in there.

"But, no, he can't. I haven't got the power to do it alone." Nails dug in slightly deeper before she let out a sob. One arm covered her face as she wept into the desk and the fabric around her arm grew to be wet as she lost her resolve. A warm hand met her back as she cried. Albus was struggling to keep it together during the moment. Minerva was a strong soul but she was also so brittle when love was involved.

"My dear Minerva, I believe that you should take this week coming off. It is only fair, you can take longer if needed but a week will be a minimum as I know you well enough to know that you would rather be at work tomorrow. No Head of House, no teacher, no staff and most importantly no friend of mine is going to work whilst they face this." He was being so gentle with her as she cried deeply and her breaths grew deeper in her chest. Air was shaky as it entered.

"My baby is due this September, I was supposed to have him with me. Frankly the thought of my home, our home is sickening. My husband was my life and now I have to deal with this. Whether they are male or female it won't matter because I will never be able to provide a home appropriate for them. What if my baby was to live elsewhere?" Albus had to flick his eyes from her to her stomach as Minerva focused her attention on the small bump.

"Minerva, you are saying this now but when this little sherbet is born you would sooner die than let another person steal them from you. I also know that you will be a marvellous mother. A teacher such as yourself is well equipped for difficult situations, no sleep and reluctant people." Minerva smiled and let her eyes dry a little. When the room plunged into silence again tears welled and Albus found that she was more upset than before.

"What can I do for him? Can I take his body for the proper burial that he deserves?" Albus took her hand and squeezed it lovingly. He was trying to help her but his words failed him for a moment.