3

CHAPTER 3

-Blake-

By the time Sunday afternoon had rolled around I hadn't had any time to study. I was pissed because my car quit on me and I was pissed at my dad for the shit he pulled the other night. I know I shouldn't be but I was.

I was used to being let down by him.

Halfway through my first page in my textbook I'm interrupted by my phone ringing.

Ralph's Car Shop

With a groan I close my textbook and hit the green answer button.

"Hello?"

"Blake I'm going to need you to come down to the garage. We have some things we need to discuss."

"Can it wait Ralph? I'm studying right now."

"Not really, I want to talk to you sooner rather than later. We need to talk about your next step."

"Is she that bad?"

"It's not completely hopeless, but it'll be pricey"

I let out a heavy sigh as I rub my temples with my free hand. "Okay fine, I'll be there in an hour"

After saying our goodbyes I quickly got changed into a pair of blue jogging shorts and a white t-shirt.

I grab my headphones off my dresser and slip my feet into my trusty tennis shoes before making my way out the door.

I decided that on my way to Ralph's I'd go for a jog. Running always seemed to help, ever since mom died it's been the way I cope.

I shove my earbuds into my ears and click on my running playlist. Everybody talks by Neon Trees blasted into my head as my feet began to pound against the cement.

My heart was beating fast as sweat dripped off my forehead and soaked into my hair, my breathing had increased. I had become so lost in the moment that I didn't see someone walking right in front of me.

We collided with each other and both fell to the ground.

"Ow! What the heck!" A familiar voice shouts.

My eyes widen when I see Van. I rip my earbuds out and quickly climb to my feet.

"I'm so sorry I didn't see you there"

"Obviously" she replies with an eye roll.

I watch in awe as she brushes the dirt off her black slacks before her attention goes to me. Her beautiful brown eyes widen slightly before they quickly return to their normal size.

"It's a nice day for a run" I say with a nervous chuckle.

Van glares at me and crosses her arms across her chest.

"Yeah great" She says, monotone.

I rub the back of my neck nervously - a habit I had recently picked up- as I feel a heat burst on my cheeks, I just didn't know if it was from the temperature outside or from the fact that I just completely humiliated myself in front of Van.

Probably the latter.

"Heh, sorry I've been having a rough few days."

"Yeah haven't we all." She says with an eye roll.

"Um"

"So where are you off to all sweaty?" She asks as she uncrosses her arms.

"My mechanic. Georgia is a piece of shit and I need to grab some things for her."

"Georgia?"

"My car"

Her eyebrows draw together.

"Why do guys name their cars?"

"That's a good question I have no clue"

Van lets out a little chuckle before she checks the time on her watch.

"Crap I'm late. Listen I have to get to work, but I will keep my eyes peeled for the pink tutu on Monday Mr Willis."

A smile breaks out onto her face as she waves goodbye and jogs away towards the diner.

I can't stop my own smile from creeping it's way onto my face as I watch her. She had no idea how beautiful she was.

I shake my head and finish my short trip to Ralph's. The bell dings on the door when I walk in and Ralph himself comes around the corner.

"There you are Blake! It's about damn time man!"

"Yeah sorry, I ran into something on the way over" I say giving him a quick hug.

He pulls away and slings his arm over my shoulder as he leads me back towards Georgia.

Ralph has always been like a father to me, he always knew what was going on with my biological father. He knew my parents before my mom had died, he went to the funeral and kind of adopted me after my dad shut down.

"How are things going? Any better?" He asks me as we cross the threshold that leads to the shop.

I shrug my shoulders in response.

"Same as always. He's a dick and doesn't care about anyone but himself, I don't think he ever has. I have no idea why Sandy is with him, she deserves someone better than him"

"Now Blake, he may be an asshole but he isn't as self centered as you think. When we were in college he was the most selfless man I'd ever met, he almost gave up your mother for someone else because he wanted her to be happy. Dumb bastard didn't know that she didn't want anyone but him."

I roll my eyes and scoff.

"I find that really hard to believe Ralph"

"Love changes you Blake. Either for better or for worse. Some people will do whatever they can for the one they love, while others don't realize what they had until it's gone. Take it from me. I screwed everything up with Jamie when we were married and now my own kids don't even talk to me. The thing that sucks most is that I miss her everyday and I still love her with all of me."

I wasn't quite sure where all this had come from but I appreciated Ralph opening up to me. I knew his divorce from Jamie was hard and I know how much he loves her still. He beats himself up everyday because of the way they ended things.

It really got me to think about my dad. It's true he was a fucking asshole but he did have some good qualities, and maybe that's what I needed to start focusing on instead.

I know relationships are a two way street, I need to put in some kind of effort with him or I'll grow to resent him like he did with my grandfather.

If I have kids in the future I don't want them to grow up like I did and not have their family around because I was to selfish to and immature to be the bigger, better person.

I knew it'll take some time, but I was determined to at least try, as much as I admired Ralph and looked up to him, I didn't want to be like him when I grew up. I didn't want to be lonely because I pushed everyone I loved away.

I knew I needed to change.