18

CHAPTER 18

VANESSA

Monty's words replayed in my head. Like a broken record, a constant stab in the heart and in my mind.

Brynn had tried to comfort me, but she wasn't what I needed. I needed Blake.

Shortly after Brynn and Wyatt left, Blake came back into my room and sat down on my bed as I pulled my legs tighter to my body and cried.

"Have you bagged her yet?"

I feel the bed shift under me as Blake moved closer and placed his hand on my knee. I tilt my eyes up and glance at him under my eyelashes.

He offers me a soft smile and reaches up to slowly tuck some hair behind my ear. My heart swelled in my chest as his hand lingered on my cheek.

"I'm sorry about Monty" he tells me in a soft voice.

I sniffle and sit up straight before grabbing his hand.

"It's not your fault Blakey"

He chuckles at the nickname and laces his fingers with mine.

"Thank you though, for sticking up for me"

"Of course Van."

He removes his hand from mine and takes a deep breath before standing from my bed.

"I promised I'd take you out to our spot. By the willow tree. If you're feeling up to it still, we have time and they have roller skating in the park. I-I thought maybe you'd-"

"I'd love too" I cut him off with a smile.

He stuffs his hands in his pockets and smiles at me.

"Just give me a few minutes to change and clean up a little bit"

"Just yell when you're ready, I'll be in the kitchen."

A small smile curves up my lips and I wipe my eyes and head to my closet to pick my clothes.

The fall air was crisp and cold, and the gray storm clouds were on the verge of rolling in, so I wanted something that would be comfortable but keep me warm.

I finally settled on a pair of ripped stone-washed jeans, an oversized sweatshirt, and my Birkenstock. I decided to put the front of my hair back in a clip, just to keep it out of my face.

I knew there was a storm coming, so I wanted to be prepared.

I take a deep breath and exit my room before meeting Blake in the kitchen. He had changed out of his sweats and into a pair of jeans, and he put a flannel on over his T-shirt.

"I'm ready" I state, startling him slightly.

He flashes me his heart stopping smile and motions towards the door with his head.

"Can you grab the umbrella by the door, and I'll grab the picnic basket." He asks as he grabs a blanket off the back of the chair.

On the way out the door I grab the umbrella, and tuck it under my arm before grabbing the basket out of his hands.

"I know, I know, but you aren't supposed to carry anything over five pounds Blakey"  I say as he opens his mouth to protest.

He playfully rolls his eyes, and holds the blanket behind his back and out of my reach and we walk to his car.

I put the basket between my feet, and the umbrella in the backseat as Blake tries to settle in to the seat. I could tell he was hurting by the way his muscles tensed, and his eyebrows furrowed.

When he noticed me watching him, he forced a smile. "Just gotta get used to being in the drivers seat again" he jokes.

I smile in response, but I knew the truth.

As Blake backs out of his driveway my mind began to wander.

What did he see in me? There wasn't anything special about me. I couldn't figure out why he was spending all his time with me. I enjoyed spending time with him, I felt safe with him.

Blake's voice pulled me out of my spiraling thoughts.  "What is going on in that mind of yours?" He asks gently.

I force a small smile and respond.

"Nothing, I was just thinking"

He studies me intently for a few agonizing seconds before he crooks a smile at me.

"Let's go eat"

I grab the basket from by my feet and step out of the car, and begin to follow Blake to what he dubbed as 'our spot' under the willow tree.

Once there he sets up the picnic and takes a seat -using great effort- with his back against the trunk of the tree. I follow suit and sit next to him, before pulling the basket closer to us.

"What do you want to start with?" He asks as he pulls out a homemade charcuterie board and champagne.

"Where did you get the champagne?" I ask astonished.

"I took it out of my dads collection. Trust me he won't miss it" he states with a grin and he pops the cork and pours us each a glass, where he adds a strawberry and a raspberry from the charcuterie board to the drink.

"Blake this is the sweetest thing anyone has ever done for me" I state as I take the glass from his hand.

The champagne was light and refreshing, and bright all at the same time. The fruit added to it, just enhanced the flavor. It was delicious.

"Trust me it's not how I imagined our first date would go" he states with a chuckle before taking a small sip.

Did he just say date?

I froze as I comprehend what he said. This wasn't a date. Was it?

"Usually I would have taken you to a nice dinner and then drove you to the secret make out spot."

My stomach twisted in knots at that. He did that with other girls. He's done things like this before.

Before I can stop him he continues.

"But not with you, you're different Van. I wouldn't have done any of that with you. I would have taken you to get a greasy burger paired with a chocolate milkshake at this diner my mom used to take me too,  then I would drive you to a spot we could watch the stars."

My heart swelled. That sounded perfect.

"Blake-"

"And then at the end of the night, when the sun was coming up, I would say something cheesy to get that beautiful smile on your face. This whole time you know what I'd be doing?"

I couldn't speak. My mind was foggy, my heart was racing, and I needed air.

"I'd be praying to whatever God would listen that you'd be wanting to kiss me as much as I wanted to kiss you."

Oh my god. I was starting to hyperventilate. I imagined the feel of his lips on mine, and the way his body would press flush against me. My skin got hot as got pulled into my daydream.

My body's reaction made me realize something I had been trying to deny for a month now.

I did want to kiss him.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Hi!! I'm finally back!

Things have been rough for me ngl. But I wrote a little bit of a longer chapter for y'all.

I'm excited for what's coming next!!! 😉