5

CHAPTER 5

My dads yelling woke me up. I was used to him yelling but this time it was different. He wasn't yelling at his assistant like usual, he was screaming at Sandy.

"Six thousand dollars to get the damn car fixed! Hell no! There's no fucking way I'm letting him blow all my hard earned money for that piece of shit, and I can't believe you would even consider Sandy!"

"Lee just please calm down. I know that you're frustrated-"

"Damn right I am! He is such a freeloader and I'm sick of it! I got him on the football team and what's he doing? Throwing it all away for some party and a chance to get laid! I didn't raise him like that and it is unacceptable! He's fully capable of getting a job and paying for his own car!"

"Blake is doing very well for himself, which is more then I can say for others."

"What the hell is that supposed to mean? Are you saying that I don't take care of you? Of us?"

"No Lee! I'm saying that given the situation he's done remarkably well for his age."

"Yeah? What situation."

I hear Sandy let out a deep breath before she speaks in a calmer voice.

"You're never around anymore. He needs some type of stability and he's not getting it from you"

The silence that followed seemed like it lasted forever and it was unnerving.

"You're going to lose him, and he won't come back. You need to try."

"How do you expect me to do that Sandy?" My dad retorts with a snippy tone.

"Well, why don't you start by going to his next home game? It's Saturday. Or you could help him study for his LSAT and his SAT"

"Why the hell is he studying for those?"

"He's trying to get in to Yale. He wants to be a doctor, which you would know if you ever bothered to talk to him."

"We have nothing to talk about. We have nothing in common, it's just be a waste of time."

"What about Kelly?"

My heart plummeted to my toes when I heard my moms name.

"I don't want to talk about that"

"Lee you can't run from it forever, maybe Blake needs the closure just as much as you do."

"I can't Sandy. It's hurts too much."

"I know honey. But you have to think of Blake and what's better for him."

Another long silence stretches on before I hear my fathers heavy footsteps approach my door. My body stiffens and I hold my breath as I wait for him to knock.

But he never does.

His footsteps retreat and I release the breath I was holding.

"I knew it was to good to be true" I mumble to myself.

There was no hope for our relationship to be mended. When my mom died she took a large part of each of us with her. It's been 8 years and I'm just as broken as I was before.

***

I adjust my tutu as I step off the bus. This was so fucking embarrassing. Everyone stopped in their tracks and snapped a picture of me with their phone.

"What the hell Blake!" Monty yells as Wyatt and him approach me.

"Dude What are you wearing?" Wyatt asks