25

CHAPTER 25

-BLAKE-

My leg bounced up and down as I watched Van pace the waiting room. She was putting up a front for me, but I knew she was terrified.

Brynn was only six months pregnant, there was no way the baby was coming now, and no one knew what was wrong with her.

I knew Van was thinking of the worst case.

"Why is it taking so long?" She mumbles under her breath, just loud enough for me to hear her.

"Van it's only been an hour, you know better than I do that this process is going to take a while."

She pauses her pacing and stares at me.

"How are you so calm?" She asks me exasperated.

I shrug. Yeah I was worried, but I didn't need her to know that.

Van began pacing again and even nibbling on her thumb nail.

I let out a breath and approach her, calmly clasping my hands on her arms.

"Baby, she'll be fine. Brynn is a fighter. I'm sure the doctors are just running tests to see what's wrong. I bet it's just Braxton hicks contractions."

My words do little to soothe her as I watch tears form in her eyes.

I stand up and make my way to her before gently cupping her face in my hands and wiping the pads of my thumbs under her eyes.

Her bloodshot eyes meet mine and I can see the fear she has for her friend swimming in her chocolate irises.

"Everything will be okay Van, we'll get through this, they'll get through this." I tell her earnestly as I place a soft kiss to her forehead.

"You promise?"

"I promise baby"

She rests her head on my shoulder as a heavy breath is released from her shaky body. I wrap my arms tight around her, desperately trying to give her the energy she needed to get through this in one piece.

After a minute, she pulls away and grabs my hand, locking our fingers together. I lead her over to the bench and sit next to her, as she starts to play with the bracelet on my wrist.

This was going to be a long day.

**

Hours had gone by before Wyatt came out of the room. He walked over to us with his head hanging and bags under his eyes. He looked exhausted.

I nudge Van awake, and we stand and meet him in the hallway.

"So? What's going on?" Van asks frantically.

"Brynn is fine," Wyatt states, before letting out a heavy sigh. "The doctors can't explain why she went in to early labor. They said she was lucky we got her here as fast as we did."

"And the baby?" I ask, I wasn't sure if I wanted the answer.

"She's alive, but barely. They had to put her in the NICU because she was so early. She can't breath on her own without help, they have all these tubes and machines hooked up to her." He tells us with tears springing to his eyes.

"Hey man, she's alive that's good news, both Brynn and the baby are alive" I try to reassure him.

Wyatt nods his head frantically before taking a steadying breath, and letting it out.

"Would you guys want to see Brynn? I think the epidural has worn off somewhat by now"

Van and I nod in unison, and follow Wyatt to their hospital room.

Brynn is covered to her neck in hospital blankets and despite the news, she seems in good spirits.

"Hey Brynn."

She glances over at us as we enter the room, and a tired smile lights up her face.

"Hey guys"

"How are you feeling?" Van asks

"Tired, and sore, but I feel good. I know things aren't looking good right now, but I brought a baby into the world. An actual human."

"You did amazing babe" Wyatt says as he leans over and kisses her forehead.

Brynn smiles at him, and they share a worried look with each other.

"She'll pull through. She's got you guys for parents. It's in her blood to be a fighter"

"Thanks Blake" Brynn responds

"When will Mr. Truman get here?" She asks in a small voice.

"He got on the first flight from Mexico City. It won't be for another few hours"

"Do you want me to call your parents?" I ask hesitantly. I knew that since Brynn found out she was pregnant, her parents haven't spoken to her. She's been living with Wyatt since they kicked her out.

"I think it's best if Wyatt and I call them."

I nod in agreement, and glance at Van who is looking at Brynn with worry in her eyes. I squeeze her hand subtly to pull her out of her own mind, and offer a small smile in her direction.

"We do have one thing to ask of you guys though." Wyatt says as we turn to leave.

I raise an eyebrow quizzically at my friend.

Brynn smiles wide before she speaks.

"Will you be the godparents for our daughter?"

•••

This is a filler chapter, there aren't many chapters left, so I'm hoping (fingers crossed🤞🏼) to get this booked finished soon so I can start on my next one!