27

CHAPTER 27
-VANESSA-

I could hear Blake and his father screaming at each other, and my mind was swamped with memories of my mother and father from years ago. My hands went to cover my ears as the shouting echoed around the room. I couldn't make out anything they were saying, but I knew by the way their voices kept getting louder, it wasn't good.

I'm saved from the oncoming panic attack by my phone ringing with a call from Brynn.

I answer in a shaky voice. "H-hello?"

"Vanessa! We've been trying to get ahold of Blake, he isn't answering his phone."

I sniff and straighten my spine as I tune out the screaming and focus on Brynn.

"He's with his dad, they're arguing about something"

I can hear Wyatt curse in the background, and some shuffling before his voice comes clearly through the line.

"Shit, I was hoping to warn him."

"Warn him about what?" I ask.

"Monty got Blake dropped from the team. He told coach that he was selling weed in exchange for test answers. Blake hasn't been able to defend himself cause he's been gone."

Frustration flows through my veins. That wasn't fair.

"Isn't there something we can do? Can you talk to the coach or something and tell him it was a lie?"

Wyatt lets out a long sigh before he responds.

"Coach won't listen, I tried already. I don't get it, usually he needs proof before he kicks people off."

Before either of us can say anything else, I can hear their baby cry in the background. There's some more shuffling on the other end before Wyatt's voice flints through the phone again.

"Sorry Vanessa, she's being fussy, I have to help Brynn. Keep us updated on Blake please."

"Yeah of course Wyatt."

We say our goodbyes and hang up just as Blake storms into the room with a look of fury etched on his handsome features. His fists clench and unclench at his sides and his chest was rising and falling with trepidation.

I approach him slowly, my eyes never leaving his, and gently lay a hand on his arm. He tenses briefly and flicks his eyes to mine. He studies the worry on my face before he softens and wraps his arms around my waist.

I slide my hands around his neck and rest my forehead against his. He sighs and I feel the tension leave his body.

"Are you okay?" I ask as I scrape my nails along his neck and scalp.

"I am now" he replies as a smirk makes its way onto his face.

I tilt my chin up and press my lips against his. He responds in kind and grips my hips tight against his body as his fingers dig into my skin. A groan escapes his throat and causes a pool of heat to explode low in my tummy.

"Blake" I groan when his lips move to my neck.

I feel his hot breath on my skin and his stubble scraping against my jaw as he leaves open mouthed kisses down my neck and on my pulse point. I feel his hands travel down to my thighs and lift me, and I can't help but wrap my legs around his waist as he carries me toward his bed.

He moves his lips back up to mine as he drops me on the bed and crawls over me, settling his weight on me in a way that makes me crave more. I lift my hips and press them against his which earns a growl from deep in his chest.

His rough hand travels farther up my leg, and slips under the hem of my shorts as he squeezes the skin there.

I trail my hands down his chest and up the back of his shirt, as I run my nails down his skin and move my lips to his earlobe.

"Damn Van." He groans as he pulls away slightly and rests his forehead against mine.

His breath comes as pants and he rolls off my body putting space between us. A rush of cold air hits my skin as he sits up on the edge of the bed and cradles his head in his hands.

I take a deep centering breath and pull myself up to a sitting position.

"Blake?" My voice comes out small and weak, and I hated it.

He turns to me with a smile and pulls me into his lap before nuzzling his face into my neck.

"Did I do something wrong?" I ask. I think I know the answer, but a part of me needed to hear him say it.

"No, of course not baby." Blake states with a breath. "I just wanted this to be more special, not when I was angry at my father."

I press a sweet kiss to his lips and lay my head on his shoulder.

"Do you wanna go to our cabin this weekend? I've wanted to take you for awhile, but I haven't found a good time."

I find myself smiling at his words and nodding against his shoulder, as my fingers play with his hand, lacing and unlacing our fingers.

Blake pulls me down to the bed and lays down, leaning his head against mine and wrapping his arms tighter around me.

"I don't know where coach would get the idea I'm selling drugs, let alone cheating on tests." Blake says in a low voice.

I debated on telling him, but Monty was supposed to be his friend, he deserved to know.

"Brynn and Wyatt called, they said that Monty told the coach"

I feel Blake tense beneath me again before releasing a deep breath.

A few minutes of silence pass before I gather the nerve to speak again.

"Blak-"

"I'm fine baby, I always knew Monty wasn't a good friend. I shouldn't be surprised he's stooped this low."

"What are you going to do?"

Blake shrugs and is silent for another moment.

"I'll talk to him later, I want to get through this weekend with you first, and then I'll talk to him Monday at school."

"Are you sure you're gonna be ok?"

He pulls me tighter and kisses the top of my head.

"I promise"