20

CHAPTER 20

-BLAKE-

On the way back to the house, the story she told me replayed in my head over and over. I didn't understand how someone could willingly hurt another human being the way he hurt her. The more I thought about it the angrier I got. My grip was so tight on the steering wheel and my knuckles were white.

The rain pattering against the windshield was a break in the silence that enveloped us. Van was playing with a loose string on her sweater and her eyes were puffy and swollen. My heart broke as I watched her fall apart.

We had sat under the willow tree after Van told me what had happened to her. I wasn't sure how much time had passed before the rain started to fall and soak our clothes.

As my mind replayed her words in my head, everything began to fall into place; why she was so standoffish, why she was so hesitant about getting close to me, and why she felt she wasn't worth it.

It all made sense.

"I-I think I should go see my dad" she mumbles from beside me.

My mind went blank.

"What?"

"My dad. I think I should go see him. I-I need to talk to him"

I glance at her out of the corner of my eye and see the determination on her face. She was serious.

"Are you fucking serious?" I snap.

She flinches at my harsh tone, and wipes a few stray tears off her face.

"After everything he did to you? You're just going to go see him."

"He's my father Blake. He's been in prison for a few weeks and I haven't seen him. I'm not going to make it a regular thing, I-I just need closure."

Closure.

"I'll take you to see him later this week. Okay?"

"Blake I don't need you to take me."

"I'm not letting you go alone Van. Not after what he did to you."

I let out a deep breath and relax my shoulders and grip on the wheel.

"I want to be there for you. If you'll let me"

I see her staring at me from the corner of my eye before she grabs my free hand and laces our fingers together.

"I do want to let you"

I squeeze her hand before placing a kiss on the back of it, and turning my attention back to the road.

I know she didn't want me he protect her, but there was a strong feeling deep within me to fight for her, to protect her, to save her.

I finally had someone to protect, and I wasn't going to let her get hurt if I had a say in it.

We pulled into my driveway and rushed into the house to escape the rain.

"Blake! Is that you?" Sandy calls as soon as we shut the front door.

She comes running into the living room with a frantic look on her face.

"What the hell!" She shouts at us.

"Sandy what's the matter?" I ask confused

"You haven't been answering your phone. Blake I was worried! I didn't know where you were! You aren't supposed to leave the house."

I roll my eyes at her and open my mouth to speak.

"You got shot Blake! It's pouring rain and freezing outside! Do you know what would happen if you stayed out there too long?"

I didn't quite understand why she was so concerned. I was fine.

"Sandy, I-"

"You gave me a heart attack" she states with a glare.

I waited to make sure she was done with her rant before I spoke again.

"I'm fine Sandy, we just went and had a picnic in the park. I'm sorry. We're fine"

She approaches me and wraps me into a long tight hug. When she pulls away she cups my cheeks in a motherly way and speaks again.

"Don't do that to me again."

She lets out a deep sigh

"Go get into some dry clothes and I'll have Peggy make you some soup to warm up."

"Yes ma'am" I reply with a smirk.

She released me from her hold and stalked into the kitchen.

I glance at Van and we share a smile before heading our separate ways to change into dry clothes.

As I peel the shirt off my body, a pain shoots to my side causing my legs to buckle, and my air to escape me in a flash.

I groan as I try to regain my footing, and straighten my body. Maybe Sandy was right. I've only been out of the hospital for a week. I shouldn't be overdoing it.

Once my breathing returns to normal and the pain begins to ebb away. I grab a fresh hoodie and pair of sweatpants out of my dresser, throwing them on quickly before I return to the kitchen.

As I pass by the bathroom I hear the shower running and I have a vision of Van and I showering together. The soapy water traces the curves and contours of her body as she was pressed against me. The way her  lips part slightly when she is surprised, and the way her lips felt on mine.

I feel like a pervert.

I was going to wait as long as I needed too, but I knew when the time came for us to go a step farther, I would be ready.

I shake my head free of the thoughts and strut into the kitchen, sitting beside Sandy at the table. Peggy places a steaming bowl of chicken soup in front of me and I dig in.

I was hungrier than I thought.

I glance at Sandy sitting beside me and notice how skinny and run down she looks. She usually is perky and cheerful, but there was something off about her today.

I try to apologize again, hoping that would change things.

"I'm sorry Sandy, for disappearing like that. I promise next time I'll be sure to leave a note"

She offers me a sad smile and pats my hand gently before looking at something on her phone. Her eyebrows furrow as her eyes squint and all the color drains from her face.

"Sandy? Are you okay?"

Her attention is on me as she struggles to contain her emotions. She flashed me another small smile and clears a lump in her throat.

"I'm fine honey. There's no need to worry"

She gathers her things and stands from the table before kissing the top of my head.

"I need to go get some things ready for your father, finish your soup and then Vanessa can join us for a movie."

I nod my head as she turns on her heel and disappears out of the kitchen.

••

Something is going on with Sandy. Any guesses?

Vanessa is going to visit her father in prison. I think we all know how that is going to turn out.

In the upcoming chapters we'll get a little more insight on Vanessa's past and finally meet Tristen!