24

CHAPTER 24

-VANESSA-

I tug the bottom of my dress down to cover my thighs as Blake and I make our way to Wyatt's front door. Music blared through the windows and doors of the house and my nerves skyrocketed as I watched the party enfold before me.

"I thought this was a small gathering?" I whisper to Blake.

"Wyatt said it was going to be" he whispers back as his eyes track a random couple stumbling out of the house.

Instinctively I stepped closer to Blake and he took the chance to clasp my hand in his. My body trembled as we entered the house. Loud music pierced my ear drums and the foul stench of vomit and alcohol invaded my senses.

Blake squeezed my hand tighter as he pulled me through the house, and in to the kitchen.

I felt the tension leave my body when I saw Brynn sitting at the table cradling her bump.

"Brynn!" I called over the music, as I dragged Blake toward her.

The tension in her face lifted and she smiled at us when we finally reached her.

"Where's Wyatt?" Blake asked sharply.

"I haven't seen him in a few minutes. He's trying to get everyone to leave"

"What happened? I thought it was supposed to be just us?" I ask

"It was, Wyatt invited you guys and Monty. He was hoping that things would have blown over for him, but he was still pissed I guess"

"So where did all these people come from?" Blake asks as I glance around at all the unfamiliar faces.

"Monty invited everyone, he said it was a party for the football team. Almost everyone from school is here. Wyatt is trying to find him and do damage control"

Blake grumbled under his breath and turned to me.

"I'm going to go find Wyatt, will you be okay with Brynn for a few minutes?"

I hesitate before I nod my head. He leans in a gives me a quick peck on the cheek before turning back to Brynn.

"I'm going to go find him and Monty"

"Last I knew he was in the backyard" Brynn says before pulling another chair closer to her.

I sat down in it as Blake disappeared into the crowd.

My fingers began to drum against the table and my leg was bouncing up and down repeatedly.

"Vanessa?"

I snap my head in Brynn's direction and focus my attention onto her.

"He'll be okay."

I nod in response and squeeze as close to her as I could without crowding her. She noticed my discomfort, and placed a soft hand on my arm.

"Let's go upstairs. I have the key to Wyatt's room. We can be safe from everyone I'm there."

I look in the crowd for any sign of Blake before agreeing.

Brynn pulls herself up and grabs my arm as she leads me through the house and up the stairs, until we reach Wyatt's room. I watch for people in the hallway as she unlocks the door and pulls me inside.

I glance around his bedroom and take in the decor. It was so different from Blake's room. There were clothes scattered all over the floor, fluorescent lights along the ceiling, and the bed was messy and covered in blankets.

"I texted Wyatt to let him know where we were. Make yourself comfortable." She tells me as she eases onto his bed and props her feet on a pillow.

I chose to sit in his chair that was next to the bookshelf, as glance around again. My eyes land on a framed picture on a shelf that has Blake, Wyatt and Monty in it. They had on their football jerseys and Blake was holding a football helmet in his hand. Next to that was a dual framed picture of Brynn and the ultrasound. I caught myself smiling as I looked at their baby.

My trance was broken when I heard Brynn take a sharp intake of breath. I snapped my head in her direction and watch her face crumple in pain. She clutched her stomach and let out a hiss.

"Brynn? Are you okay?"

Her face reddened and she didn't respond. My eyes widen when I realized what was happening.

She was in labor.

Brynn cried out in pain and fisted the blankets next to her. I rushed to her side and tried to even out her breathing.

In a rush I pulled out my phone and called Blake's number.

Ring ... ring ... ring ...

When his voicemail picked up I started to panic. I didn't know what to do.

She screamed in pain and my heart sunk. I needed to get Wyatt.

"Brynn listen to me, I'm going to get Wyatt, just keep breathing and I'll be back as soon as I can"

Brynn nodded her head as another contraction took over her body.

I rushed out of the room without looking back and ran down the stairs. I heard yelling coming from the backyard so I made my way there. On my way to the backyard I got stuck in the crowd that was gathered in the living room.

Panic gripped me as the people pressed against me and I gasped for air. My vision was becoming hazy and my chest felt tight.

This can't be happening right now.

I closed my eyes and took some solidifying breaths trying to ease the panic. Brynn needed me. Her baby needed me.

Determined, I open my eyes again and push my way through the sweaty crowd making my way to the backyard.

The night air hit me in a rush and my lungs opened up as I took the biggest and deepest breaths I could.  My eyes scanned the lawn until they landed on Wyatt, Monty, and Blake by the outdoor fire pit. They were arguing about something and Blake looked feral.

I ran to the boys and panted for breath as Blake's attention was on me in an instant.

"Van? What's wrong, you're supposed to be in the kitchen with Brynn." Blake says as he gently grabs my arms.

Monty smiles in our direction and crosses his arms before he speaks.

"Let me ask you a question Blake. Have you fucked her het?" He asks smugly.

Blake's hands shook with rage as he whipped around and screamed at Monty.

"Shut the fuck up!"

Monty smirked at him, and I knew this wasn't going to end well. He was challenging him.

Before either boy could lash out I stepped between them.

"Blake listen to me! Brynn needs help!"

Wyatt and Blake both snapped their heads towards me.

"What's wrong with Brynn? Is she okay?" Wyatt asks in a panic.

I locked eyes with him.

"We need to get her to the hospital. She's having the baby!"