21

CHAPTER 21

-BLAKE-

After Van had gotten out of the shower, the three of us gathered in the living room to watch 'The Shining'.

Van had fallen asleep on the couch within the first few minutes which just left Sandy and I to watch the movie stylings of Jack Nicholson and Shelley Duvall. Yet I found my attention wandering to the sleeping beauty on the couch. She had curled up in a blanket and had just the tip of her toes hanging out of the bottom.

A smile made its way onto my face as I watched her sleep. For the first time in a while, she looked content.

"She's good for you."

My attention whips to Sandy who is still watching the exchange on the television.

"I know your father doesn't think so, but I can see it. I see the way she looks at you."

"Can I tell you something?" I ask her as I turn my attention to Van again.

"You know you can Blake."

"Do you think I can make her happy?"

Sandy glances at Van and then turns to me.

"I think that if that is what she wants, then yes. You could make her happy."

I smile at her answer.

"It's stupid, I know she doesn't need me to be her knight in shining armor, but there is something inside me that yearns to protect her. I feel like I have a second chance to save someone."

Sandy leans across the coffee table and places a gentle hand on my knee.

"That's not stupid honey. It's who you are. You've always been a protector Blake, ever since I've known you. There isn't anything wrong with it, as long as you let her make that decision. Don't control her life"

"I'm afraid of losing her. I've never felt the way I do about her before. I don't want to mess up, but I don't know how to get her to trust me."

Sandy let's out a small chuckle.

"If she didn't trust you, she wouldn't be here"

I glance at Van's sleeping figure again, and feel my heart swell.

My eyes traced the contours of her body as she lay there. I watched as her lips parted slightly as she slept, and her toes curled every time she adjusted herself.

Sandy gets up from the couch as the credits roll and makes her way into the kitchen. I grab the empty popcorn bowls and follow her, after shutting the television off.

When I entered the kitchen, Sandy was absorbed in her phone and didn't notice me come in. I noticed her eyes glisten with tears as she sets her phone down on the counter and finally noticed me.

She startled slightly, and wiped the forming tears out of her eyes.

"Is everything ok?" I hesitantly ask

Sandy let's out a heavy sigh and glances at the clock on the wall.

"It's late honey, you should get some rest. You're still recovering"

I stare at her for a second longer as she dismisses me .

She's hiding something.

"I'm gonna go bring Van to her room. I'll see you in the morning?" I state

"I'll get her hon, you get some sleep, I'll see you tomorrow" she says with a forced smile.

I hesitate, and debate if I should argue it out of her. But as I watched her, I could tell she was worn out and tired.

I say good night to Sandy and head to my bedroom where I collapse on my bed and quickly fall asleep.

**

The next morning comes way too quickly, but by the time I had waken up, Van was already at school. I slowly stretch my limbs -careful as to not hurt myself- and crawl out of bed.

I pop my pain pills into my mouth and chug the remaining water in my bottle before throwing a shirt on and making my way to the kitchen.

My stomach growls as the smell of eggs and sausage reaches my nose. Peggy was standing over the stove whisking the eggs in the pan when I sat at the table.

"Good morning Peggy" I state with a yawn.

"Good morning!" She responds in her usual cheery tone.

She drops a plate of food in front of me just as Sandy enters the kitchen. She was dressed in a matching jade green sweatsuit, and her graying hair was pulled back in a low ponytail.

"Morning Sandy" I say through a mouthful of eggs.

She doesn't respond, and instead goes to the fridge and pours herself a glass of cranberry juice. Her hands shake as she tries to pour the juice into the glass.

"Sandy? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine Blake" she replies as her focus remained on the glass in her quivering hands.

Just as she got a grip on the glass, it slips and crashes to the floor.

"Damn it" she curses as she begins picking up the glass.

I rush over to help her, only to find her silently sobbing on the floor.

What the hell?

"Sandy?" I try in a small voice.

She waves a hand at me as she wipes her tears with her sleeve and struggles to stand on shaky legs.

"What's going on?" I ask as I carefully watch her

Sandy let's out a deep uneven breath and leans against the counter behind her.

"Blake, I don't know how to tell you this.." she starts, then pauses to wipe more tears off her face.

"Are you and dad getting divorced?" I ask in an attempt to ease the burden she seemed to have.

She lets out a humorless chuckle. "I wish it was that"

Peggy had returned with a broom and dust pan to clean up the mess, and I followed Sandy to the living room.

She sits in her usual spot on the couch and pats the spot next to her. I oblige to her silent command and sit next to her.

"Your father doesn't know anything I'm about to tell you, and you have to promise to keep it that way. I'll tell him on my own time when I feel ready to tell him."

I nod my head as a million different things run through my brain on what could be bothering her. I've never seen her like this.

Sandy takes a deep steadying breath before finally turning her attention to me and grasping my hand in hers.

"I have stage four breast cancer Blake."

**

What a bomb to drop. Did anyone expect that?

How do we feel about Van and Blake finally taking 'the next step'? *wink wink*

There's so much that still needs to happen and I'm excited to be back!