23

CHAPTER 23

-BLAKE-

I couldn't help but pace the kitchen as I waited for Van to get back. I knew she was strong and didn't need me to protect her, but I also knew what that bastard was doing to her for years. I didn't want her to be afraid of him anymore, I wanted her to know that I was there if she needed me.

"Honey if you keep pacing you're going to need to replace the flooring" Peggy says with a chuckle as she puts something in the oven.

I hadn't paid attention to much going on around me since Van left, I was too focused on her and making sure she would be ok. I wanted a clear head when she came home so if she needed to talk, I was there for her.

"Sorry Peggy, I'm anxious." I state as I take a seat at the kitchen counter.

Peggy let's out another soft chuckle as my fingers begin drumming an impatient tune against the marble surface. "You know, it's not going to do either of you any good if you are freaking out. From what I've seen, she's plenty capable of handling herself Blake."

"I know she is. She's the strongest person I know. I'm just afraid the fucker will say something that will make her doubt herself, and I don't want that. I want her to be able to see herself the way I do." I admit.

Peggy smiles at me and places a gentle hand on my shoulder. "She is lucky to have you on her side Blake. Everybody needs somebody to believe in them"

I smile at Peggy as the front door opens. I rush to greet Van, only to be met with my father and Sandy walking in with dejected looks on their faces.

"What's wrong?" I asked, directed at Sandy.

Dad brushes past me without a word and heads towards his home office. A deafening slam echos throughout the house and silence envelopes Sandy and I.

"What happened?" I ask her softly.

Sandy looks at me with a broken expression and squeezes my arm before making her way into the kitchen with Peggy.

I didn't know what had happened, at this point I didn't really care. I just wanted to see Van. 

I think back to what Peggy said and let out a deep breath. There was no way I could be there for her, or support her if I was not calm myself. 

I didn't want to say or do anything that made her not trust me. It took me months to gain her trust, I didn't want to lose it by saying something stupid.

I finally decide to sit in the living room at watch TV to pass some time, I needed to clear my head. 

My phone buzzes in my pocket just as I get in to my episode of Lost.

Wyatt- hey man, Brynn and I are hosting a small party tonight at my place. one last big thing before the baby is born. we'd love if you and Vanessa could make it.

I'll ask her about it when she gets back. 

Just as I turn my attention back to the TV, I hear the front door open and close quietly. 

I trudge to the foyer and meet Van as she puts her purse and jacket on the coat rack. I let out a deep breath seeing her in one piece, she tenses up as she hears me approach her and her movements still briefly before she turns towards me. 

Tears immediately stream down her cheeks when she looks at me. I rush towards her and wrap her in my arms tightly. The tension releases from her body as she sobs into my shoulder.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

She mumbles out a reply I can't quite hear, and I place a gentle kiss against her forehead. 

"Do I need to talk to the fucker?"

She smiles lowly and wraps her arms tight around my waist.

"He was a complete asshole, but I know where I stand now." She says as she cracks a small smile at me.

My thumbs brush along her cheeks, catching the fallen tears as she glances at me.

" I realized I didn't need him, a-and maybe I never did. I needed someone that believed in me. I needed you Blake."

Before I can reply, she presses her lips to mine and kisses me with an intensity that I haven't seen from her yet. My hands grip her sides and I slowly trail them down her body until I get to her hips. Van runs her tongue over the apex of my lips and I grant her the access to wants. 

She has no idea how easily I turn to putty in her hands. 

My fingers dig into her hips as my thumbs tuck under the hem of her shirt. I can feel her fingers twist in the back of my shirt and it heightens all my senses tenfold. 

I pull myself away from her with great reluctance and watch the way her lips plump from the kiss. 

"Van" I say with a breathy voice.

She smiles up at me and twines her fingers through mine.

"Wyatt and Brynn wanted us to come over tonight. Are you interested?" I ask her as she slips her shoes off. 

"That would be fun!" Van says. All her previous tension had dispersed. "But are you okay to go out? You still aren't fully healed from your bullet wound."

I smile at her and plant a kiss on the back of her hand. 

"It's just a small get together before the baby is born. I'll be okay" I reassure her.

A wide grin makes its way onto her face as she replies.

"I'll be ready at 7"