28

CHAPTER 28

-BLAKE-

Today was my first day back to school since I was shot, and the only thing I was looking forward to, was the few moments in between classes I caught sight of Van. Everyone surrounded me and acted like they were my buddies as soon as I stepped through the threshold. It was disgusting. These people didn't care about me before I got shot, why would they now?

I could feel the stares on my back as I focused on my math test in front of me, and I was nearing the edge of my rope holding my insanity in. 

I clench my fist and raise my hand waiting for Mr. Bird to look my way. 

"Yes Blake?" he asks monotone

"Can I be excused? I need to use the restroom."

I could see the irritation flicker behind his eyes, before he writes a pass for me and rips it off the pad, thrusting it in my direction wordlessly.

I conceal my smirk and make my way to the front of the room to get the pass, before leaving the classroom and walking down the hallway -the opposite direction of the bathroom- I just needed to breath. I felt like I was in a fishbowl, and I was some kind of ancient artifact that had been lost for centuries before being found.

I let out a angry puff of air as I lean against the wall across from the yearbook classroom. Almost instinctually my eyes find Van through the window. I watch as she screeches he nose and pushes her glasses up her nose while studying something on her computer. After a few minutes she runs her fingers through her hair and speaks to the girl sitting next to her, she then collects rolls of paper next to her and stands before heading towards the classroom door.

When she spots me a wide smile breaks out across her face.

"Hi Blakey, shouldn't you be in class?" she asks me with a playfulness in her eyes.

I wave the pass Mr. Bird wrote me in the space between us with a smirk on my face, and her eyes light up. 

"Well, why don't you get some extra therapy in and help me hang the posters for prom up?"

I'd agree to anything if it meant I didn't have to face the kids in this school anymore today.

"I can write you a pass for your next class too, perks of being the yearbook editor" Van adds with a smirk.

I shrug in faux nonchalance before pushing myself off the wall and stalking over to her. I lean in closer to her face, and watch as her eyes widen slightly before quickly darting around. I snatch the rolled up posters out her her hand and lean back.

"After you Madam Editor" I state with a wink.

Van smiles at me, and laces her free hand with mine before leading me down the hallway, farther into the school. We fall into a comfortable silence and my mind starts to wander to the events of earlier today.

Van nudges me with her shoulder, causing me to put my attention on her. 

I force a smile and squeeze her hand.

"What's up?" 

I shake my head, but she stops me by pulling on my hand.

"Blake you can tell me anything, even if I don't want to hear it." she tells me in a near whisper.

I could see the war behind her eyes, and I wanted to tell her, I just didn't know how.

"Ever since I've been back at school, everybody has been watching me and treating me like I'm some kind of museum exhibit. They've just been staring and gawking. Not to mention everyone is acting like they're my friends."

Van steps in front of me and wraps her arms around my neck with a smile.

"That's what happens when you're a hero Blake. People notice. Do you think if Spiderman walked through these halls people wouldn't treat him the same?"

A flash of annoyance shot through my body.

"I'm not a hero Van. I know everyone in school has looked up to me, but it wasn't because of me it was because of my name, and my position. Not for who I am as a person." 

Van flashes a small smile of reassurance at me before pressing a sweet kiss on my lips.

"You're my hero Blake. I know you don't think you're worth anything to people, but if anyone sees half of what I see." She pauses for a brief minute, locking eyes with me. "Well, if they can't see what I do when I look at you, then it's their loss."

Her words strike me right in my heart, and I let out a weary breath as I rest my forehead against hers. 

"You're amazing, you know that." I tell her matter of factly before pressing my lips to her forehead.

Before she can respond, I pull away and tuck the posters under my arm.

"Let's  get these posters up before the bell rings."

I hand her a poster and she takes it from my hands, gently brushing her fingers against mine. She turns her back towards me and stands on her tip toes and she places a tack in the poster.

My eyes trail her frame, from her pink polished toes, up her long tan legs, and to the hem of her skirt that was rising over the curve of her ass as she stretched to reach the top corner of the poster.

I remove my eyes from her body and walk up to her to hold the poster corner in place, as my body cages her against the wall. I can feel the heat from her body through her clothes, and I can hear the sharp intake of breath she takes as my lips trace the shell of her ear. I watch as her fingers shake as she puts a thumbtack in the poster. 

I pull away from her and put space between our bodies and watch the color rise in her cheeks. She lets out a shaky breath and turns to face me fully, biting her bottom lip.

"I'll see you out front after school." I tell her with a parting wink.