17: Tessa

Jem and I walked through the streets of New York a bit lost. We kept getting stares from people about our clothing. But I didn't care, I was thankful for a distraction from Will.

Jem had said that Will seemed to be acting strange. I had felt guilty right away. I should have already talked to Will about the kiss, but I couldn't being myself to do it.

Jem and I had found a quaint little park, and we sat down ok the nearest bench.

"It's very lovely here, don't you think?" Jem said pleasantly.

"Indeed, it is." I say.

"I was talking to Alec, and he said he knows a Carstairs! just think of it, our own living descendant. Isn't that odd?" Jem says

"Another Carstairs?" I ask.

"Yes." He says with a smile.

I lean back on the bench for a moment. Living proof that Jem and I do get married, and have children. I felt a bit nauseous knowing my future.

"I do wonder who Will, will marry." Jem saw thoughtfully.

I feel a great stab of pain go through me, and I know why. The idea of Will loving someone else, bothers me. And it is not fair of me, because Will is not mine.

"Yes, I do too." I say as I try to swallow the lump in my throat.

Jem notices and says. "Are you feeling alright, Tessa?"

"Yes. Do you want to walk around some more?" I say quickly changing the subject.

Jem agrees and we walk around the streets a bit more. After about ten more minutes Jem shouts a name that made me stop dead in my tracks.

"Will!!" he shouts

And sure enough, there he is walking towards us, with Jace at his side. I immediately look at my feet and don't make eye contact with him. He and Jace walk up to us.

"Jem, Tessa." He says nodding at both of us.

"What are you doing out here?" Jem asks.

"He wanted to get out, for a bit. We went to this bar, that I really have to show you Jem. Let's go." Jace says as he pulls Jem by the arm.

Jem just shrugs and smiles at me, and leaves. Jace smirks at Will and leaves us alone. Oh no, oh no I think in my head. How awkward!

Will clears his throat, and I finally look up at him to see that he is a mess. His eyes and nose are all red, and he has black bags under his eyes.

"Tessa can we please talk?" he asks and I nod my head.

We walk over to a fountain and sit on the edge. Will starts to talk:

"I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to kiss you, that night." He says

"I know, so am I." I say quietly.

"I know you must hate me now, after-" he says but I cut him off.

"Will I could never hate you." I say rushed.

He looks for a moment. "Your too
good to me Tess."

I feel my heart unravel as he calls me Tess. We're silent for a minute, and then I see Jace shouting at us

"Will, Tessa!!" He calls as he runs into an alley.

Confused, Will and I run over to where he is, in the alley. When I get there I scream a bit. Jem is laying on the ground unconscious with blood on his white shirt.

"What happened!!" Will exclaims as he bends down over Jem.

"I don't know. We were walking and then all over the sudden he started coughing a lot, and the fainted but I caught him." Jace says worriedly.

Will looks at me. We both know what's wrong. Jace and Will lift up Jem, and the three of us hurriedly run back to the Institute.