Chapter 1

"Lilith, hurry up and take these orders out," My manager, Quin, said in a harsh tone, It made me want to hit him,"And here is your change, $4.67. Have a great day," I said happily to the customer, using my best customer service voice, ignoring the tone my manager spoke to me in. .

Working at a fast food job seriously sucks but when you're 17 and need to have savings for college, having a job is better than nothing. Unlike most girls my age who would rather party than think about their future, I for one do care where I end up in life. I like to think of myself as a futuristic, someone who deeply cares about their future and want to strive for great things.

"I'm going Quin," I said picking up the tray, "Next time, lose the tone." I quickly left before Quin could say anything else which most likely would have been to threaten me with losing my job, he liked to threaten but never actually went through with. Quin and I do not have a good work relationship, mostly due to how he treats me. I never let it get to me because it's just work and I am only here for money.

"Here you go, sir." I said as I sat the tray down. As I looked him in the eye i felt a strange sensation crawl down my neck. It unnerved me slightly. . He was wearing all black, leather jacket, jeans, with high motorcycle boots resting with his ankles crossed. "Anything else I can get you?" I asked, hoping he would say no so I could leave. This guy gave me the jebbies.

"No thanks." He responded quietly. I nodded back and headed back to the counter. Glancing back at him once more, feeling shivers from the awkward encounterment I just had.

"Quin, I'm going to take my last break." Not caring for his approval. Today is a tiresome night and many customers kept on coming. Trying to keep my eyes awoke and faking my energy.

As he nodded, I headed back to the break room. As I sat down my General Manager walked over to me. Charlie was always the supportive one, the main boss that really matters here. As long as you do your job, show up on time, and be respectful, he will respect you fully. He put his hand on my left shoulder and looked at me with a sad smile.

"Don't let him get to you Lilith. Quin is a good guy but definitely a different...style you can say." Charlie told me. "You're a good worker and probably one of the greatest ones we ever had and you have only been here for a few months."

"I don't." I said. It meant a lot that he thinks of me highly. "I can handle him fine. It's only work anyways." Even though he sometimes makes my blood boil and would like to punch him a few times or more. Yeah, more than a few times.

"Soon you will be leaving and starting college. Have you thought about what major you want to work in?" Looking at me with caring eyes. He always asked about my future and treated me more as family than someone who I work for.

Honestly, I haven't. With school, work, helping at home since both of my parents work late, I'm always busy and never really thought about my future. Only thing that seems to inspire me was Criminal Justice, working within the law. Maybe a lawyer perhaps.

"Maybe within Criminal Justice, perhaps a Lawyer." I told him. Growing up, I would watch the ID Channel, Cops, and of course the court cases. It grew on me and made me want to help others from the horrible acts of criminals.

"Lots of schooling, challenging one as well." Charlie stated. "But you are a very smart girl, nothing but A's in those AP classes you do. I believe you will do great and do many great things." He said honestly.

"Thanks Charlie, I really do appreciate that." I looked at the time and see I only have a minute left. "Time to go back to work." I got up as he nodded to me and head into his office.

Finally work was done. As usual I say bye to Quin and as normally he waves his hand away. "Asshole." I mumbled quietly. No "have a great night" or "take care" or nothing. What a dick.

"What was that Lilith" Quin glared at me. I could see the stern look he was giving me.

"I said I'm tired." I responded innocently and smiled at him. Not giving a care if he actually heard me or not. I was just too tired to sass him with the long day I just had. I just wanted to get out of here and back to my parents.

"Sure you did short stuff." Using one of many nicknames he uses. Growing up, I was told if someone is mean to you, it means they like you. In this case, it was nothing remotely close to that. Maybe he needs to get laid, surely that makes a guy feel a whole lot better.

I flipped him off behind his back since no one else was here besides us, Charlie, and the cooks. I saw Charlie watching the whole time and he just laughed to himself. 'Short stuff' one of many nicknames Quin calls me but never my name. Quin always thinks he's "all that" and that he's a "ladies man." Yeah, if girls were into punk guys, which is really cliche, but so true these days.

When I walked outside, it was a warm night as usual in the town of Ojai, California. As I got to my car and looked for my keys in my purse, I suddenly heard a voice in my head. "Get home Lilith, Now!" It yelled. It made me jump and drop my keys and then accidentally kicked it under my car. "Oh for fucks sake!" I yelled

"Better watch that tone of yours." That mysterious guy said as he approached me from when I delivered his food to him earlier today.

I took out my pepper spray and aimed it at him. "Back off now or I will use this!" I told him hiding my fear.

He put his hands up. "I'm not going to hurt you Lilith." Moving a step closer with a cautious look in his eyes.

"How do you know my name!" I demanded with a bit of fear. Something about him looked familiar than realizing it was that mysterious guy from before.

"Your name tag from earlier?" He said and suddenly I felt embarrassed.

Okay to be fair, you have a long day at work, dealing with hundreds of people, start talking to yourself, hear a strange voice, than a creep shows up. You start forgetting you wear a name tag.

"What do you want. Seriously not in the mood and I just want to head home and go to bed." I said putting my pepper spray back.

"Just to warn you. Drive home fast," looking straight into my eyes with a concerned look attached to it.

"What..." I looked up and he was gone, vanished. Okay...what the fuck and that guy seriously is some creepier. One second he's my new stalker and the next, poof, gone like the wind.

I finally got my keys that was under my car and unlocked the doors. I put my purse on the passenger seat and started my car and headed straight home. First I hear a strange voice telling me to go home and now that mysterious dude. I get it's a Friday night but damn the creepers do come out at night. As I was driving and started getting closer, I see smoke from the dark sky so I drove faster seeing what's going on. As I got to the house that a fire was obviously there but faded out due to the firemen and smoke appearing more and more; I realized that the house that was on fire was my house.