Chapter 10

Two weeks later, it was spring break. It was Saturday morning and Amber was getting ready to go over to the Cullens to hang out with Jasper. She changed into a green shirt, brown pants, and dark brown boots. She braided her hair and then walked downstairs. She saw Jasper in Edward's car, waiting outside.

"Dad, Jasper's here

"Dad, Jasper's here." Amber said. "I'm going over to the Cullens."

"Ok. Have fun." Charlie said. Amber walked out of the house and got in the car.

"Hey." She said.

"Hi." Jasper said. "How are you?"

"I'm good." Amber said. "What about you?"

"Same here." Jasper said. "How are you doing?"

"If you're asking how I'm feeling having cancer, I appreciate the concern, but I'm doing ok." Amber said. "You don't need to ask me every time we see each other.

"Sorry." Jasper said. "I'm just worried about you." 

"I would tell you or Carlisle if I wasn't." Amber said.

"Promise?" Jasper asked.

"Promise." Amber said.

"Ok." said Jasper. They drove the rest of the way in silence. When they got to the house, they got out and walked inside.

"Amber!" Alice greeted her. She gave her a strong hug.

"Alice. Can't. Breathe." Amber said, between breaths.

"Alice." Jasper said.

"Oops." Alice said, pulling away from Amber. "Sorry."

"It's ok." Amber said.

"Come on, we can go upstairs." Jasper said. Amber followed. They walked into a room that had a couch, wide open windows, a bookshelf filled with war books. There were war pictures hung up on the walls, as well as a bunch of shotguns.

"Wow." Amber said. "I guess you really are a history buff." Jasper chuckled. "You have a lot of shotguns." Amber said. "Did you use any of the them while you were in war?"

"Yeah." Jasper said, showing her which one he used.

"Cool." Amber said. She noticed that there wasn't a bed. "You don't sleep?" She asked.

"Nope." Jasper said. Amber nodded.

"Hey, my family was going to play baseball today. Want to join?" Jasper asked. "I know Edward is going to ask Bella to come."

"Isn't it going to rain?" Amber asked.

"Not until later." Jasper said. "The only time we get to play is during a thunderstorm."

"Why?" Amber asked.

"The sound the ball makes when it hits the bat is similar to thunder." Jasper explained.

"Oh." Amber said.

"So, you in?" Jasper asked.

"Sure." Amber said.

"Great." Jasper said. "I think we're getting ready to go." He grabbed two baseball caps, putting one his head and the other on Amber's. "Let's go." Jasper said. The two of them got in Jeep with the rest of the them and headed to field. They got there and waited for Edward and Bella and they soon arrived.

"It's time." Alice said, just as they heard thunder. Amber and Bella stood by Esme and played as umpires. Alice pitched the ball and Rosalie hit it. Amber watched Rosalie run the bases. She thought thought that Rosalie was going to get a home run, but Esme caught the ball just before Rosalie got to the base.

"Out." Bella said. Rosalie glared at Bella.

"Come on, babe." Emmett said. "It's just a game." Carlisle was up next and did his turn. Then, Jasper was up. He smiled at Amber as he walked up  the plate. He hit the ball and got a home run.

"Stop!" Alice said, just as Rosalie was up to bat again. "They were leaving, but then they heard us."

"Let's go." Edward said to Bella and Amber.

"It's too late." Carlisle said.

"What?" Bella asked.

"We shouldn't of brought you guys here." Jasper
said to them.

"Amber. Bella. Get behind us." Carlisle said. "And get your hair down."

"What's going on?" Amber asked as she did what she was told. No one answered her. Jasper stood by her, protectively, They saw three figures approaching. Two were guys and the third person was a woman. The two guys both had long hair. One was African American and the other was caucasian. The woman was also caucasian and had fiery curly red hair.

"I believe this belongs to you." The African American man said, holding up a baseball. He threw it to Carlisle.

"Thank you." Carlisle said as he caught the ball.

"I am Laurent." The man said. "And this is James and Victoria."

"I'm Carlisle. This is my family." Carlisle said. "I'm afraid your hunting activities have caused something of a mess for us."

"Our apologies." Laurent said. "We didn't realize the territory had been claimed."

"Yes well, we maintain a permanent residence nearby." Carlisle said.

"Well, we won't be a problem anymore." Laurent said. "We were just passing through."

"The humans were tracking us, but we led them east." Victoria said.

"Excellent." Carlisle said.

"So, could you use three more players?" Laurent asked. The Cullens were quiet. "Just one game?" Laurent said.

"Sure." Carlisle said. "Some of us were leaving. You can take their place." As they turned, the wind caused Amber and Bella's hair to blow.

"You brought us some snacks." James said. The Cullens jumped in front of Bella and Amber.

"They're human?" Laurent asked.

"The girls are with us." Carlisle said. "I think it would be best if you leave."

"I can see the game is over." Laurent said. "We'll go."

"Get Amber and Bella out of here." Carlisle said. "Go." Edward led Bella and Amber to Jeep and got in.