Chapter 41

During the night, Amber was trying to sleep, but she couldn't stop coughing. Jasper went downstairs to get a glass of water and brought it up to Amber. Once she fell back asleep, Jasper headed back downstairs. Everyone was in the living room.

"Is Amber ok?" Esme asked.

"Yeah." Jasper said. "She fell back asleep." Esme nodded.

"She's getting worse." Carlisle said.

"Yeah. I can see that." Jasper said. "I hate seeing her like this. She's scared."

"Of what?" Emmett asked.

"Of dying." Jasper said.

"I thought she wanted to become like us." Rosalie said.

"I have no idea what she's thinking about that." Jasper said.

"She's very conflicted about that." Edward said. "She thinks that if she chooses to become like us, then she'll lose you and Seth."

"Why?" Jasper asked.

"She knows how you feel about her becoming a vampire." Edward explained. "And she's afraid of losing Seth because of how the tribe sees us."

Jasper looked at Carlisle. "Are you sure there's nothing you can do medically?" He asked.

"I'm sorry, Jasper. At this point, it's just a matter of time and making her feel comfortable." Carlisle said. "And I'm not going to turn her unless she asks me to turn her."

"Alice?" Jasper asked. "Do you see anything?"

Alice shook her head. "Because she hasn't decided yet, I can't see anything." Alice said. "If anything, she's going to wait till the last minute." Jasper sighed and stood up.

"Where are you going?" Esme asked.

"I'm going to use Amber's phone to call Seth and ask him to meet me at the treaty line." Jasper said as he walked upstairs.

The next day, Amber was in the living room like always. Her head was laying in Jasper's lap while they watched tv and Jasper lightly stroked her hair. She was about to fall asleep, when someone came into the room.

"Amber, someone's here to see you." Alice said.

Amber looked up to see Seth behind Alice. "Seth." She said as she sat up.

"Hey Amber." Seth greeted her.

"What are you doing here?" Amber asked.

"Am I not allowed to come see my best friend?" Seth joked as he sat on the couch.

"No, you can." Amber said, giggling. She hugged Seth and Seth hugged her back.

"Amber, Seth and I want to talk to you about something." Jasper said.

"What about?" Amber asked.

"We know that you haven't decided on whether you want to become a vampire or not." Jasper said. "And we know that it's because of us."

"Why would you think that?" Amber asked.

"We know that you're scared of losing Jasper and I if you do decide to become a vampire." Seth replied.

"How do you two know that?" Amber asked. But then, she answered her own question. "Edward." She said.

"Don't be mad at him." Jasper said. "I was asking." Amber nodded. "Amber, please don't decide this because of us." Jasper said. "This is your decision."

"But, you don't want me to be a vampire." Amber said, looking at Jasper. She then looked at Seth. "And you won't be able to see me because of the tribe's rules.

"I know in the beginning I didn't want you to become a vampire, but as you worse I understood." Jasper started. "I get that you're scared of dying and don't want to. I'm not going to be upset or angry with you if you decide to become a vampire."

"Geez. I get no privacy to myself in this house." Amber joked. "You guys know everything about me. My thoughts, my feelings, my future. You guys can hear everything." Jasper chuckled. Amber could vaguely hear laughing from a different part of the house.

"And Amber, you have nothing to worry about with the tribe." Seth said. "Because you're my imprint, they can't hurt you, even as a vampire, and they know I can't stay away from you."

"I'm sorry." Amber said.

"You have nothing to apologize for, Amber." Jasper said. "We just wanted to make sure you make this decision for yourself and not because of us."

"Alright." Amber said. She looked at Seth. "Can you stay?" She asked.

"Of course." Seth said. Amber smiled. She watched tv with them, enjoying the company of her two favorite people.