Chapter 20

A few weeks went by. Bella had gotten the stomach bug only a couple hours after they came back from the movie theater that night. Charlie had Amber sleep in his room so she wouldn't get sick from Bella. Over the past few weeks, Amber and Bella noticed that Jacob had been avoiding them. It was Saturday afternoon. Amber was in her room, reading. Bella came into the room, grabbing her jacket and car keys. "Where are you going?" Amber asked.

"To see if I can talk to Jacob." Bella replied.

"Can I go with you?" Amber asked.

"I don't think so." Bella said.

"Why not?" Amber asked.

"Amber, it's raining out." Bella said. "You don't need to be in the rain and end up getting sick."

"Please." Amber said. "You're not the only one he's avoiding."

"Fine." Bella said. Amber put her shoes and raincoat on and followed Bella out to the truck. They got in and headed to La Push.

When they got to the reservation, Bella parked the truck and went up to Jacob's house. They saw Jacob walking towards the woods. Bella and Amber got out and walked over to him. "Jake!" Bella called. He didn't answer.

"Jake!" Amber called this time. He turned around. Both Amber and Bella gasped at how different he looked. He had cut all of his hair off and now had short hair and she noticed a tattoo on his shoulder. "You cut your hair off?" Amber asked, going over to him.

"And got a tattoo?" Bella added.

"Bella. Amber." Jacob said.

"Why have you been avoiding us?" Bella asked.

"We thought you were too sick to come outside or answer the phone when we called." Amber said.

"Go away." Jacob said.

"No. We want to know why you've been avoiding us." Amber said.

"Did Sam get to you?" Bella asked. Before he started avoiding them, Jacob had talked about how he didn't like Sam.

"Sam's trying to help me. Don't blame him." Jacob said. "But if want someone to blame, how about those bloodsuckers you guys love so much. The Cullens." Bella and Amber were quiet.

"We don't know what you're talking about." Bella said.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about." Jacob said. "You two have been lying to everyone. Charlie. But you can't lie to me. Not anymore." They heard voices, calling for Jacob. Amber saw a bunch of guys in the distance, at the edge of the woods. "Look Amber. Bella. We can't be together anymore." Jacob said.

"If we did something to make you mad at me, we're sorry." Amber said.

"It's not you." Jacob said.

"It's not us, it's you, right?" Bella asked.

"It is me." Jacob said. "I'm not good for you guys."

"Just tell us what's going on." Bella said.

"I can't." Jacob said.

"Please." Amber pleaded.

"I literally can't." Jacob said.

"You promised you wouldn't hurt us." Bella said.

"And this is me keeping that promise." Jake said.

"Jake." Amber said.

"Go home, girls. And don't come back." Jacob said. "Or you're going to get hurt." He ran off with the other guys. They stood there, watching him go. Amber felt the rain lighten up.